This Apple Chicken recipe is utterly mouthwatering! Easy to make and can be served with a wide variety of vegetables. Baked chicken and apples is a great family dinner, full of fresh taste.
Apple chicken is a delicious sheet pan dinner you can serve up all year round. It’s is particularly wonderful in the fall when apples are in season. The ingredients for this recipe are easy to find and the sweetness of the apples pairs perfectly with the chicken.
Why you’ll love this!
- Easy! True to the theme of easy chicken recipes, this is super easy. Perfect for hectic evenings, minimal prep with only a handful of ingredients needed.
- Delicious! The sweetness of the baked apples marries up perfectly with the seasoned chicken, a match made in heaven.
- Perfectly baked chicken. Seasoned with mustard, white wine vinegar and fruit juice then baked to perfection – subtly sweet, succulent chicken – delicious.
How to make this Apple Chicken
- Bake the chicken. Season the chicken and bake on a tray for 30 mins.
- Cook the apples. In a skillet with butter, season and gently cook the apples and onions.
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl, combine the apple juice, chicken broth, vinegar, and mustard.
- Assemble and bake. Take out the chicken, add in the apple/onion mix and cover on the sauce. Bake for another 30 mins. Serve and enjoy!
Which apples are good for cooking?
Honeycrisp apples are great because they are subtly sweet and hold their firmness when baked. Jonagolds and Granny Smith are great for baking as well, especially if you want a slightly more tart flavor (which is also divine with the chicken!).
Can I add veggies to this Apple Chicken?
Absolutely! Sweet potatoes are great, especially with more sour apples. Or you can use regular potatoes for a carb hit. You can also go for carrots, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts. The rule of thumb is, if it roasts well give it a try!
How long does this Apple Chicken keep and how to store it?
This will keep for 3 days. It should be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container.
Use what you have
If you don’t access to fresh thyme use ½ a teaspoon of dried thyme.
More Top Tips
- If you don’t have white wine vinegar, you can substitute with apple cider vinegar.
- Go for a rimmed baking sheet, to make sure all the juices and sauce stay put!
- If using salted butter, I recommend using a little less salt on the chicken.
Other baked chicken recipes
- Juicy Baked Chicken Breast
- Baked Hawaiian Chicken Meatballs
- Baked Lemon Chicken
- Garlic and Herb Baked cHicken Wings
Have you tried this Apple Chicken recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Apple Chicken – Sheet Pan Chicken with Apples
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large apples cored and cut in eighths
- 2 small onions quartered
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Couple of fresh thyme sprigs chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and stir until it is completely mixed.
- Toss the apples and onions in the sugar mixture over low heat until they are coated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the apple juice, chicken broth, vinegar, and mustard.
- Remove the chicken from the oven after 30 minutes. Add the apple onion mixture to the baking sheet with the chicken.
- Pour the apple juice mixture over the chicken, apples and onions and sprinkle the thyme over the top.
- Return the sheet pan to the oven and bake for 30 minutes more, until the chicken is cooked through.