Creamy Chicken Paprikash is a traditional Hungarian Chicken Recipe with so much flavor! This Chicken Paprikash Recipe is unique, vibrant, and delicious. Paprika Chicken is one of our favorite weeknight chicken dinner recipes.
Creamy Chicken Paprikash
Who’s ready for a flavor bursting recipe like they’ve never seen before?!
You’re in for a real treat with this chicken paprikash recipe. It’s no wonder it’s one of the most popular dishes in Hungary. The chicken is spiced perfectly with plenty of paprika and slow cooked to make for the most tender meat ever. To top it off its all covered in a creamy sauce that will make you feel like you’re on could nine from the moment you taste it.
So, if this the first you’re hearing about chicken paprikash be prepared to be blown away. There will be no going back once you have that first plate in front of you.
What is Chicken Paprikash?
Chicken paprikash or paprika chicken is a popular dish that originated in Hungary. It’s one of the most famous dishes to be prepared and served on Hungarian tables.
As I’m sure you could guess, the name is derived from the abundance of paprika used to make the recipe. Paprika is a very common spice used in Hungarian dishes, so it’s no surprise that they have a whole dish dedicated to the spice essentially.
The meat for the recipe is typically simmered for an extended period in the sauce to make a delicious and flavor-packed meal for everyone to enjoy.
How to Make Chicken Paprikash – Step by Step
Tips and Tricks That Make Dinner Come Together in a Flash
- Scrape the pan: Add the wine while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. This will loosen the flavorful brown bits stuck to the pan.
- Nestle the chicken: Add the chicken and the accumulated chicken juices to the pot. Nestle the chicken pieces down into the vegetable mixture. This will make sure the chicken is fully covered and will allow for the best flavors.
- Use a meat thermometer: I love a good instant-read meat thermometer to help me be sure my chicken is at the perfect temperature. This way you don’t have to stress about over or undercooking the meat.
The Best Ways to Serve Chicken Paprika
This traditional Hungarian dish is best served on top of a bed of egg noodles. Imagine it kind of like a chicken parm kind of dish but even better! If you’re feeling up to the challenge try making your own Homemade Egg Noodles for a truly special meal. Don’t fret though, store bought works just as well too.
Get Inspired With This Chicken Paprikash Recipe
Whenever I get myself to explore the cuisine of another culture it really inspires me to go all in and try a variety of the popular or well-known dishes.
So, naturally I had to test out a few of their sweet treats, and the highly talked about goulash. I highly recommend trying them out for yourself too. Trust me there are life-changing.
Try Even More Unique Chicken Recipes
Just because we are all about easy chicken recipes here, it doesn’t mean the recipes have to be boring and plain. Easy can be just as unique and exciting as the professional recipes.
So, If you want to step out of your shell and try some more fun and noteworthy recipes, you’ve come to the right place. Here are a few I know you’ll love.
Chicken Mole Recipe
Easy Chicken Mole is one of our favorite Mexican Chicken Recipes to make any time of year. This EASY Mole Sauce is so flavorful and made in under 30 minutes.Continue Reading
Blackened Chicken Tacos Recipe
Blackened Chicken Tacos are one of our favorite fun easy chicken recipes for any day of the year!Continue Reading
Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe
Honey Sesame Chicken is a must make easy chicken recipe. Crispy. Check. Spicy. Check. Sweet. Check. Easy. Check. Delicious. DOUBLE CHECK.Continue Reading
Honey Balsamic Glazed Chicken Recipe (Roasted Balsamic Chicken Thighs)
Honey Balsamic Glazed Chicken is a tasty, easy, and simple sheet pan chicken recipe sure to please the entire family.Continue Reading
Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu is a delicious and healthy take on a classic chicken recipe. Layers of tender chicken, cheese, ham, and dijon sauce make this easy chicken recipe epic and a total mainstay.Continue Reading
Easy Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Chicken tikka masala is one of the most popular Indian dishes, and for good reason. How can anyone not love this explosion of spices, paired with the creamy texture of the sauce that the dish traditionally has.Continue Reading
Get out of Your Routine and Make Chicken Paprikash Tonight!
Don’t let routine get the best of you and lead you down the path of the same mundane weekly meal plan for the rest of time. It’s time to put some pep in your dinner step and make this fun and fresh paprika chicken recipe now!
Creamy Chicken Paprikash Recipe
- 3 pounds bone-in about 8 pieces skinless chicken thighs & legs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sweet paprika divided
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion halved and sliced thin
- 1 large red bell pepper stemmed & seeded, halved; cut into ¼” strips
- 1 large green bell pepper stemmed, seeded, halved; cut into ¼” strips
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1½ tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 14½ ounce diced tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce optional
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- buttered egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, and liberally season all sides with salt, pepper and 1½ teaspoons paprika.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes, or just until it begins to shimmer.
- Add half the chicken to the Dutch oven and cook, without moving them, until crisp and brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken and brown the other side, another 4-5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and repeat until all chicken has been browned. Set aside to cool.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from the Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add the red and green peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons paprika, marjoram and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add the wine while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. This will loosen the flavorful brown bits stuck to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and 1½ teaspoons kosher salt.
- Add the chicken and the accumulated chicken juices to the pot. Nestle the chicken pieces down into the vegetable mixture.
- Bring the chicken to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Place the pot of chicken in the oven and cook 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 175°F (dark meat) on an instant-read meat thermometer.
- While the chicken simmers in the oven, combine the sour cream with the remaining 1½ teaspoons paprika.
- Remove the pot from the oven and transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the sour cream/paprika mixture to the vegetable/tomato mixture, in the pot, and stir until incorporated. If desired, add a splash or two of hot sauce and season to taste with extra salt & black pepper.
- To serve: Place the chicken on a bed of buttered egg noodles. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the chicken and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.