This Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken is a healthier take on the classic Chinese takeout and it’s delicious! Succulent chicken, slathered in a tangy sauce, served with a side of fluffy rice, pure heaven on a plate!
With less saturated fat than your typical takeout, less cleanup than deep frying at home AND all the taste of the classic dish, Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken is where it’s at! Perfect chicken topped with a delicious sauce that’s easy to make perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
How To Make Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken
Why Air Fry Chicken?
Air Frying chicken is an healthier option for cooks who desire the delicious crunch that comes with fried foods but not the delicious calories and fat. It also tends to have a quicker cook time than many foods that are typically baked in the oven.
With help of my air fryer, I create this dish in less than 20 minutes. You can use the air fryer to prep your chicken and I create your sauce while that’s going.
Variations On General Tso’s Sauce
This sauce has a wonderfully salty and tangy mix, it’s totally addictive! If you want to vary the taste, here are some ideas.
- If you like a sweeter sauce, you can add 1 tablespoon sugar in the sauce.
- To make this hot, add 6 whole dried red chilies while stir frying the chicken.
- Add a little orange zest to brighten the dish up.
- If a sweeter sauce is a must for you, add 1 tablespoon of honey
Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken – An Easy Weeknight Dish!
This recipe for Easy General Tso’s Chicken will be on your dinner table in around 20 mins. It’s sweet, savory, sour and every bit as addictive as the restaurant version. The chicken is crispy without being stodgy, while the sauce is thick and syrupy, just like it should be.
Top Tips For Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken
- Preheat the air fryer before using it.
- Make sure to spray with air fryer with non stick cooking spray, before using it.
- Toss the chicken in the air fryer basket, so they cook evenly.
- Serve with white or brown rice, or some steamed broccoli.
Check Out These Other Asian Inspired Recipes
If you have tried this Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Air Fryer General Tso's Chicken Recipe
For the Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash of black pepper
For the Sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
For the Chicken
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes
- In a small bowl toss the chicken with the cornstarch, salt and pepper to coat evenly
- Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray
- Put the chicken in the air fryer, separate the pieces so they will cook all the way around
- Air fry for 10 mins, toss the basket once at 5 minutes to flip the chicken over
For the Sauce
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a small, heavy bottomed saucepan or medium heat
- Whisk until the brown sugar is dissolved
- Bring to a rapid boil
- Reduce to simmer, simmer about 5 minutes until sauce has thickened
- Pour the sauce over the air fried chicken to coat evenly
- Serve over plain white or brown rice