This White Chicken Lasagna is creamy, cheesy with a crispy crust. Perfect for the family, dinner guests, or for keeping all to yourself! Layered with spinach and artichoke, this is next level lasagna!
When it comes to comfort food, lasagna has to be up there as one of the most loved. This White Chicken Lasagna dials up the comfort, it’s rich, creamy and utterly delicious, your family will adore it!
How To Make White Chicken Lasagna
Brush the chicken breasts with oil, season with salt and pepper then bake for 25 mins. While the chicken bakes, cook the pasta according to package instructions.
To make the roux, add flour and cream, whisk and add in the chicken broth. Season the roux with oregano, thyme and garlic. Once combined add the chicken and spinach.
In another pot mix, the ricotta, eggs and artichokes. Then, in a large baking dish, layer in your lasagna sheets with the ricotta sauce and the creamy chicken mixture. Sprinkle some cheese on top and then bake the lasagna for 20 mins.
Allow to cool for 10 mins.
Can You Freeze White Chicken Lasagna?
To prepare the lasagna for freezing, allow to cool, cover each portion with the lid and then freeze. They will keep for up to one month. To cook from frozen, preheat the oven to 180C/350F, but cook for one hour.
You can either assemble the lasagna in a freezer-safe container or you can place leftovers into an airtight plastic container or freezer bags. If you already baked the lasagna, allow it to cool to room temperature, but you can freeze lasagna before you cook it as well.
What Vegetables Can I Use In White Chicken Lasagna?
For this recipe, I used spinach and artichoke. You could also use kale, or another hardy green. If you want to add more veggies to this dish by all means go for it! But make sure your veggies are cut thinly and cooked first before adding to your spinach.
It’s a versatile dish when it comes to veggies, you could go for portabella mushrooms, squashes, olives, peppers…lots of options!
What To Serve With This Lasagna
This hearty white chicken lasagna is a meal in itself but also works great with a number of sides. Here’s some ideas:
- Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Sauteed Carrots With Scallions And Thyme
- Spicy Cheesy Broccoli
Top Tips For White Chicken Lasagna
- Don’t let the sheets get clumpy. Once you’ve cooked your noodles to just under al dente, do not—dump them in a colander to drain in the sink as you prepare the sauce and cheese. They’ll quickly become a clumpy. Instead, after you’ve drained the pot, lay each noodle flat on an oiled baking sheet.
- Make sure you have enough layers. You should have at least three layers!
- Avoid a dry lasagna. If you leave your lasagna uncovered in the oven, it will become dry. Use a foil-topped tray for a portion of the baking time. Once the lasagna has baked halfway through, remove the foil so the top can brown.
- Let lasagna cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Check Out These Other Great Pasta Dishes
If you have tried this White Chicken Lasagna recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
White Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp oregano divided
- 1 tsp dried thyme divided
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 3 large cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- pinch black pepper
- 1 14 oz can quartered artichokes drained
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place the chicken breasts on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet
- Brush with olive oil
- Sprinkle with salt
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F
- Allow to cool until it’s easy to handle
- Shred the chicken breasts with two forks
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package instructions, set aside
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat
- Add the flour, mix to dissolve
- Slowly add the heavy cream, whisking to form a roux
- Continuing to whisk, slowly add in the chicken broth
- Season the sauce with 1 tsp oregano, ½ tsp thyme, ½ tsp salt and garlic
- Add in the spinach and shredded chicken and mix to incorporate with the sauce
- Reduce heat to simmer
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and egg, mix until smooth
- Fold in the artichokes and ½ cup cheese
- In a large baking dish start with a single layer of lasagna noodles to cover the bottom
- Top that with a thick layer of ricotta cheese
- Layer another layer of lasagna noodles
- Top with a thick layer of the creamy chicken spinach mixture
- Repeat the layers
- Top with one last layer of lasagna noodles
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top layer of noodles
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes
- Broil 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese on top (optional)
- Let lasagna set for about 10 minutes and then serve warm