Enjoy restaurant-quality Indian cuisine at home with this easy to make Tandoori Chicken Marinade! Traditional ingredients like yogurt, ginger, and turmeric blend together to create an unforgettably flavorful chicken marinade.
Tandoori Chicken Recipe
Whenever we go out for Indian, tandoori chicken is my go-to. There’s something so delightful about the combination of bold flavors and tender chicken. I knew I needed to master this recipe at home, and I’m so happy I did!
This simple tandoori chicken marinade easily comes together in less than 10 minutes. Let the chicken marinate for at least an hour (I like to let mine marinate for a full 8 hours for maximum flavor) and grill to perfection. The lightly charred grilled chicken breasts paired with the tandoori marinade is unbelievably delicious!
Why You’ll Love this Tandoori Chicken Marinade Recipe:
- FLAVORFUL: This marinade features bold and intense flavors that blend together seamlessly.
- SIMPLE: This marinade comes together in less than 5 minutes. Skip pre-made marinades and make your own today!
- HOMEMADE: Make your favorite tandoori chicken from a restaurant at home with this quick recipe. No reservations required!
How to Make Tandoori Chicken Marinade
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a sealable plastic bag.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator.
- Grill the chicken for 6-8 minutes per side.
For best taste, use this marinade right away. Prepare it immediately prior to adding the chicken breasts.
When grilling these chicken breasts, cook for about 6-8 minutes per side, depending on how thick they are. Thinner breasts will take less time while thicker breasts will take a couple extra minutes. Chicken is cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- For truly vibrant tandoori chicken, add 1-2 extra teaspoons of turmeric to the marinade.
- Marinate this chicken for 1-8 hours. Any longer and the chicken can get slimy.
- No grill? No problem! Cook marinated tandoori chicken on the stovetop. Heat a pan over medium-high heat and cook the chicken breasts until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 15 minutes. Flip halfway through to ensure the chicken is evenly cooked.
What should I serve with tandoori grilled chicken?
There are so many delicious sides that pair well with this grilled chicken! Try serving tandoori chicken with roasted vegetables, a side salad, or a starch like dal, rice, couscous, or quinoa.
What kind of yogurt should I use?
Use regular or Greek plain yogurt in this marinade.
This marinated tandoori chicken is one of my favorite ways to enjoy Indian food at home. Fire up the grill and get cooking!
More Chicken Marinade Recipes We Love
- Teriyaki Chicken Marinade
- Maple Bourbon Chicken Marinade
- Jerk Chicken Marinade
- Yogurt Marinated Chicken
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Tandoori Chicken Marinade Recipe
- 1½ -2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Marinade
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from ½ lemon
- Place all marinade ingredients in a large sealable plastic bag. Mix to combine.¾ cup plain yogurt, 3 cloves garlic, 1 inch fresh ginger, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons ground garam masala, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon ground turmeric, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Add the chicken breasts to the bag and toss gently to coat them in the marinade. Seal the bag.1½ -2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Place the bag of marinade and chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Once hot, place the chicken breasts on the grill. Cook for 6-8 minutes, flip, and cook for another 6-8 minutes until the chicken is slightly charred on the edges and cooked through (165°F internal temperature). Serve and enjoy.