Add some flavor into your meals with these tastebud tingling skillet chicken fajitas! Super easy to make from scratch, you will love this high protein and low carb recipe!
They are super easy to make from scratch with dried herbs and spices you probably all ready have in your cupboard. The chicken comes out so juicy and flavorful!
Why you will love these skillet chicken fajitas!
- One pot: These fajitas are all cooked in one skillet making clean up a breeze – who doesn’t love that?!
- Made from scratch: Lose the packaged fajita seasoning. This dish is so much more flavorful than if you buy a spice mix.
- Healthy: One serving comes in at around 400 calories and it’s high in protein and low in carbs.
Can you make them ahead of time?
These skillet chicken fajitas are best served as soon as you are made them so that the chicken is nice and juicy and the vegetables are cooked just so. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days and should only be reheated once.
How do you serve them?
I like to serve the chicken and veggies in a flour or corn tortilla with a drizzle of sour cream and some guacamole. They are also great served over rice. Feel free to add your favorite taco toppings like fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, jalapenos and salsa.
What is in fajita seasoning?
This fajita marinade is made with a blend of dried spices and herbs:
- Garlic cloves
You can adjust the spices to suit your tastes, if you don’t like things too spicy you can reduce the amount of cayenne you add.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- It’s easier if you pull it over a bowl and roll down the rims of the plastic bag. This trick will give the bag more stability. You can also do this when you want to fill leftovers into freezing bags.
- To know if the chicken is cooked through push a bit on the thickest part. If it doesn’t give in much, it’s cooked. It should feel similar to when you push your thumb against your pinky
- Letting it rest a bit helps to set the juices. So if you cut it open after a bit of rest it won’t lose as many juices anymore.
Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 bell peppers any color
- 2 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- lime juice to taste
- tortillas for serving
- In a plastic bag, mix 2 tbsp of oil, garlic, and all spices to make a marinade.2 garlic cloves, 3 tablespoons cooking oil, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons ground cilantro
- Place chicken breasts into the bag, and fully coat chicken with the marinade. Let rest in the fridge until the other preparations are done.4 chicken breasts
- Cut onions and bell peppers into strips.2 bell peppers, 2 red onions
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan over medium-to-high heat.3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Add onions and bell peppers to the pan, and cook for 7-10 minutes, until they reach prefered softness and are a bit browned. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove vegetables from pan and set aside, then add marinated chicken.
- Pan-fry chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Place vegetables back in the pan just to re-warm slightly.
- Cut chicken into strips, then add back to the pan with the vegetables and stir. Add salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste.salt and pepper, lime juice
- Serve with warmed tortillas.tortillas