Cheesy Chicken and Rice is our go-to weeknight dinner, something the entire family loves! This one-pan casserole is filled with chicken breast, rice, broccoli, cauliflower, and Velveeta. It’s so creamy, cheesy, and easy. Even the kids will love it!
What’s in Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole?
This cheesy chicken and rice recipe is loaded with Velveeta cheese, broccoli, cauliflower, and an array of spices that really turn up the flavor on a tried and true classic casserole dish!
- Chicken: Use chicken breast. You could also mix in rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked and shredded chicken.
- Rice: Instant rice works great in this recipe, and cooks up just as fast as the rest of the meal. I used white rice, but you could use brown rice too.
- Veggies: Broccoli and cauliflower florets add some extra nutrients. Feel free to mix in other vegetables if you prefer.
- Velveeta: Velveeta melts quickly and easily into this one-pot casserole, and adds to the smooth, creamy texture.
- Salted Butter: Adds richness to the casserole.
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup: This adds all that creaminess to the casserole.
- Chicken broth: Use a low-sodium option if you like.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, paprika.
Pro Tip: Use the largest skillet you have available!
Variations on Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
You can swap the chicken breasts for chicken thighs if you prefer. Try this recipe with different veggies, like cauliflower, carrots, peas, or corn!
Skinless, boneless chicken breast works best for this recipe.
Simply cut into the side of each chicken breast, and cut lengthwise. In this case you’ll cut all the way through, to create 4 thin cutlets. That means enough pieces for the whole family, but it also means the chicken will cook through faster.
Velveeta melts much more easily than other cheese options, which is what makes it so great for this quick recipe. If you use another cheese, just be aware that it could affect the cook time and final texture.
Yes, this casserole freezes quite well. Let it cool, then place it in freezer-safe containers. Freeze up to 3 months.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover cheesy chicken and rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second increments until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Freeze cheesy chicken and rice in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
This is the perfect one-pan complete meal. You could serve it with a light soup or salad!
Top Reader Reviews
- “Made this last night and the four of us ate almost an entire double batch. I love that your recipes are so quick and easy but taste like someone slaved away for hours.” – Deborah
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise (butterflied)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (¼ stick)
- 10 ounces Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (1 can)
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¾ cups uncooked instant white rice (not dry rice)
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese
- Season the chicken liberally on both sides with salt and pepper.2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add butter to a large (12 inch) skillet over medium high heat. Once melted, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until fully browned and nearly cooked through.2 tablespoons salted butter
- Remove the chicken and place on a foil tented plate to keep warm.
- Add the soup, chicken broth, paprika, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.10 ounces Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth, ¼ teaspoon ground paprika, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir in the rice, broccoli, and cauliflower. Add the velveeta cheese, stirring to melt.1¾ cups uncooked instant white rice, 1 cup broccoli florets, 1 cup cauliflower florets, 4 ounces Velveeta cheese
- Once Velveeta is melted, return the chicken to the skillet and nestle in the rice. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until internal temp on the chicken reaches 165F.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Be sure your skillet is at least 12 inches. We’re going to be making the whole recipe in this one dish so any smaller and you’ll have overflow. If you only have smaller skillets, cook half the recipe in each skillet, or try using a dutch oven.
- To make the process go smoothly, I like to make sure all of my ingredients are prepped before I start doing any cooking on the stove. So make sure your chicken and veggies are all ready to go before you start adding anything to the skillet.
- Since this recipe comes together so quickly, be sure not to leave the pan unattended for too long.