These sweet and spicy Hot Honey Wings couldn’t be simpler or more delicious! Oven baked and loaded with flavor. Just the ticket for an easy appetizer or game day treat!
Oven Baked Crispy Chicken Wings
Why You’ll Love this Honey Hot Wings Recipe:
- An easy appetizer: Only 5 ingredients needed!
- Sweet and Spicy: Use your favorite store bought hot honey sauce or make your own (see recipe card).
- Crispy: Oven baked, these wings come out with a lovey and crispy skin.
Juicy on the outside, with a crackly crispy skin, these sweet and spicy wings are utterly addictive!
How to Make Hot Honey Wings
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Coat your chicken wings with your cornstarch and flour mixture.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Make your hot honey sauce in a microwave safe bowl.
- Toss wings in the hot honey sauce.
- Broil the wings.
- Serve and enjoy!
Hot Honey Wings Ingredient Notes
- Wings: I like chicken wing portions because the drum and flat are already separated!
- Flour: Helps absorb any moisture on the outside of the chicken wings so they become crisp and delicious!
- Cornstarch: Dries out the surface of the chicken wings just slightly more than flour. Again, we want super crunchy chicken wings!
- Butter: Helps create a sauce to coat the chicken wings. I used salted butter so if you are using unsalted, make sure to add a pinch of salt to your sauce.
- Honey: I used Mike’s Hot Honey, but you can also make homemade hot honey (see recipe notes) if you don’t have any on hand.
Hot honey is honey infused with chile peppers. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and spicy!
To make these wings even spicier, add a few dashes of hot sauce to the hot honey sauce or ⅛ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper to the flour and cornstarch mixture.
You can use frozen chicken wings for this recipe, but be sure to let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight and pat dry before using.
Cook these wings in the air fryer at 400°F for 16 minutes, flipping the wings after 8 minutes. Remove them from the air fryer, brush the hot honey sauce on top of the wings, and return them to the air fryer to cook for another 3-5 minutes
If you are making for game day or a party, you can easily double or triple your batch – they’ll go quick!
Hot honey wings are best enjoyed on the day they are made. Leftovers will lose their crispiness. Store leftover wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze leftover wings in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Allow chicken wings to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
DIY Hot Honey
To make your own hot honey, place ½ cup of honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of hot sauce or 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Bring to a bubble, about 3 minutes, and then remove from the heat. Allow the honey to cool and then store it in the fridge until ready to use.
These hot honey wings are just so simple to make, 5 ingredients, pop in the oven – done! Sweet, savory and spicy with a crisped skin, they are pure party food!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Hot Honey Wings Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound chicken wing portions
- 4 tablespoons salted butter ½ stick
- ¼ cup hot honey see notes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- Whisk the flour and cornstarch together in a large bowl.1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel. Place them in the large bowl with the cornstarch and flour, tossing to coat.1 pound chicken wing portions
- Shake off any excess flour and place the chicken wings on the wire rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the chicken wings and then bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- While the chicken wings bake, melt the butter and hot honey in a large microwave safe bowl. Whisk to combine.4 tablespoons salted butter, ¼ cup hot honey
- Add the baked chicken wings to the bowl and toss them in the honey butter.
- Place the chicken wings back on the wire rack and broil for 2-3 minutes or until they are browned and crisp. Be careful, they can burn quickly! Serve immediately. Chicken wings are best enjoyed right when they come out of the oven!
- Storage: Store hot honey wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Hot Honey: I used Mike’s Hot Honey, but you can use homemade. To make your own hot honey, place ½ cup of honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of hot sauce or 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Bring to a bubble, about 3 minutes, and then remove from the heat. Allow the honey to cool and then store it in the fridge until ready to use.