Learn how to assemble and prepare delicious Chicken Chimichangas. These chimichangas are crisp on the outside with flavorful toppings and a meaty center full of tasty shredded chicken.
Fried Chicken Chimichangas Recipe
If your family loves Mexican food, they’re sure to enjoy this flavorful Chicken Chimichangas recipe! You’ll use assorted ingredients, including shredded chicken, chicken broth, seasonings, and tortillas to create these chimichangas.
Instead of heading out to the restaurant, follow this easy recipe to make your favorite dish in no time.
Why You’ll Love this Easy Chicken Chimichangas Recipe:
- Easy recipe: The Chicken Chimichangas are easy to create and taste delicious!
- Topping friendly: You can top these chimichangas with some of your favorite toppings to customize them to your liking.
- Versatile recipe: You can make different variations of the chimichangas using your favorite meats, including ground beef or shredded pork.
How to make Crispy Chicken Chimichangas at home
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
1. Heat oil in a skillet on the stove and then add your onion and bell pepper to it.
2. Add the garlic and cooking for an additional 30 seconds.
3. Pour your tomato sauce into the skillet, followed by the chicken broth, cumin, salsa, cayenne, salt, paprika, and pepper.
4. Bring them to a boil before lowering the heat and simmering. Continue to stir the sauce while it cooks and thickens.
5. Add your sour cream, chicken, and corn into the mixture.
6. Mix everything together and then remove the skillet from the heat, setting it off to the side for several minutes.
7. Grab your tortillas and spread refried beans on the center of them.
8. Top the beans with your seasoned chicken mixture before adding cheese and folding your tortilla.
9. Roll it up and use a toothpick to keep each chimichanga in place.
10. Fill a large pot with oil, and heat it to 365 degrees before adding your chimichangas to the oil.
11. Cook them in the oil for about two minutes until they’re golden brown.
What are chimichangas?
Chimichangas are burritos filled with chicken that gets fried in oil, creating a crispy layer with a soft, meaty center. They taste great with additional toppings, including sour cream and cilantro.
Can I make these with fresh chicken?
Before you make the Chicken Chimichangas, you’ll need to cook the chicken and shred it. You can quickly boil your fresh chicken and shred it before adding it with the other ingredients.
What toppings go on chicken chimichangas?
You can add many toppings to your Chicken Chimichangas, depending on what you prefer. Some of the best toppings include fresh slices of avocado, queso, cotija cheese, salsa, cilantro, and sour cream!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- After removing the chimichangas from the oil, be sure to drain them on paper towels to remove some of the oil.
- Stir your sauce until it thickens. You’ll need to stir it while it’s simmering for at least five minutes.
- You can wrap these in parchment paper and place them in a Ziplock to freeze for later.
Enjoy the delicious taste of these homemade Chicken Chimichangas. They’re easy to make and loaded with tasty ingredients.
More Mexican chicken recipes we love
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Baked Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- BBQ Chicken Nachos
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Chimichangas Recipe
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon sour cream plus more for topping
- 3 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas
- 1 ¾ cups refried beans
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Avocado sour cream, salsa, cilantro, cotija cheese, and/or queso for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute 3-4 minutes, until golden and tender. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in tomato sauce, chicken broth, salsa, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently until sauce has thickened and reduced by half. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Stir in sour cream, chicken, and corn; mix well and remove from heat, then allow to cool slightly.
- Spread a heaping ¼ cup refried beans onto the center of each tortilla, then top with ½ cup of the chicken mixture. Flatten the filling into rectangle shape with the back of a spoon, then top with 3 tablespoons shredded cheese. Fold the bottom of the tortilla snugly over the filling, then fold in the sides. Roll the chimichanga up to the top edge, forming a tight cylinder, and secure the ends with wooden toothpicks. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Fill a pot or heavy skillet with about 1-inch of cooking oil and heat over medium-high heat to 365 degrees F. Place two chimichangas flap side down in the hot oil and cook 1-2 minutes of each side until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels, and remove toothpicks. Repeat frying with remaining chimichangas.
- Serve warm topped with sour cream, avocado, salsa, cilantro, cotija cheese and/or queso sauce.