Bold and flavorful, every bite of Chicken Taco Soup packs a punch! This homemade soup is loaded with plenty of spice, black beans, corn, and chicken for the ultimate easy dinner recipe.
Easy Chicken Taco Soup
Mix up taco Tuesday with a big batch of homemade chicken taco soup! It’s everything we love about tacos in soup form, served with your favorite taco toppings like sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, sliced jalapeños, tortilla chips, and more.
Chicken taco soup is completely customizable – increase or decrease the spiciness, garnish however you’d like, and even add extra veggies. It’s a welcome addition to our dinner rotation and a fun twist on taco night!
Why You’ll Love this Taco Soup Recipe:
- FLAVOR PACKED: Garlic. Chili powder. Jalapeños. And more!
- EASY: You only need 15 minutes of prep time for this homemade taco soup recipe. It’s the perfect weeknight meal!
- HEARTY: Packed with veggies and chicken and topped with cheese, avocados, and more, this taco soup is hearty, filling, and satisfying.
If you love spice, toss a couple extra jalapeños in the mix. I dare you!
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Sauté and season the onion, garlic and jalapeños.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, beans, and chicken broth.
- Boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.
This is a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken! Shredded white meat chicken works best for taco soup. To save time, shred a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Yes! To make chicken taco soup in a crockpot, use 2 raw chicken breasts instead of pre-cooked chicken. Place everything into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot, shred it, and stir it back in.
Absolutely – just make sure the pot is large enough!
No tortillas required for this taco Tuesday recipe!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Jalapeño seeds are pretty spicy! For a little heat, discard the seeds. For extra heat, add the seeds to the soup, too. For even more heat, add a couple more diced jalapeños to the soup!
- For even more flavor, use Homemade Chicken Broth.
- This soup keeps wonderfully! Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Soups with toppings are just so fun. Extra cilantro for me, please!
What is the best way to freeze taco soup?
Let the soup cool to room temperature, pour it into freezer-safe containers, and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, reheat it on the stovetop.
Is this soup spicy?
This soup is definitely flavorful, but not overly spicy. Leave out the jalapeño for less spice and add the jalapeño with seeds for more spice.
What toppings go well with chicken taco soup?
Top this soup with your favorite taco toppings! My favorites include diced tomatoes and avocados, sliced jalapeños, a scoop of sour cream or guacamole, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and chopped cilantro.
Chicken taco soup is a weeknight staple in my house. It’s loaded with savory flavors, deliciously filling, and fun to serve. Spice up dinnertime with this easy soup recipe!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes 1 can
- 15 ounces golden sweet corn 1 can, drained
- 15 ounces black beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- Sliced jalapeños, sour cream, diced avocado, guacamole, tortilla strip chips, and freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 white onion
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.3 cloves garlic, 1 jalapeño, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the crushed tomatoes, corn, beans, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.15 ounces crushed tomatoes, 15 ounces golden sweet corn, 15 ounces black beans, 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Increase to high heat until the soup comes to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, garnish with sliced jalapeños, sour cream, diced avocado, guacamole, tortilla strip chips, and freshly chopped cilantro, and serve.3 cups cooked and shredded chicken, Sliced jalapeños, sour cream, diced avocado, guacamole, tortilla strip chips, and freshly chopped cilantro