This Crockpot queso chicken is perfect as a dip or as a meal! Treat yourself to this cheesy, flavor packed, easy to make chicken dip today.
- Crockpot Queso Chicken for a dip or meal!
- Why You’ll Love this Slow Cooker Queso Chicken:
- How to make Cheesy Chicken in a Crockpot
- How can I make queso chicken spicy?
- How long will it stay fresh?
- Can queso chicken be frozen?
- Recipe Tips and Notes
- More crockpot chicken recipes we love
- Crockpot Queso Chicken (Dip or Meal!)
Crockpot Queso Chicken for a dip or meal!
I think I’ve made this cheesy chicken dip for just about every Super Bowl Sunday over the last few years! It’s always a crowd favorite that disappears in no time.
If your Crockpot is big enough, you might seriously want to consider making a double batch.
I also love serving this queso chicken as a meal! Once I started serving this chicken over rice, it soon became a family favorite. Now we’ve even starting putting it in tacos!
It’s an easy dinner AND dip that I make more often than not, simply because of how deliciously easy it is!
Why You’ll Love this Slow Cooker Queso Chicken:
- Slow cooker recipe: Really, is any recipe easier than a slow cooker recipe?! All you need to do is toss the ingredients in there and let the slow cooker do all the work.
- Cheesy: When it comes to queso, I can never seem to get enough. This rich, cheesy chicken dip hits the spot every time!
- Crowd favorite: This recipe is pretty much the definition of a crowd pleaser. Who doesn’t love queso and shredded chicken? When served with a side of tortilla chips, this dip is downright irresistible.
How to make Cheesy Chicken in a Crockpot
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Prepare the Crockpot.
- Add the chicken to the bottom of the pot.
- Top the chicken with taco seasoning.
- Add diced cream cheese and cubed queso.
- Top it all off with diced tomatoes and green chilis.
- Cover and cook.
- Shred the chicken, stir, and enjoy!
See what I mean?! It’s really that easy.
How can I make queso chicken spicy?
There are several different methods of making this chicken dish spicier. Here are some of my favorites!
- Add freshly diced jalapeños. To make it extra hot, toss the seeds in the mix, too.
- Toss in a tablespoon of crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Or both, if you really want to break a sweat.
- When serving the queso chicken, top if off with your favorite hot sauce.
How long will it stay fresh?
If you’re serving this at a party, I recommend keeping it in the Crockpot on the warm setting. It should stay fresh for a few hours! However, you might need to stir it occasionally.
If you have any leftovers of this queso chicken, keep it in an airtight container and pop it in the fridge. In the refrigerator, it’ll stay fresh for up to 3 days.
You can reheat cold queso chicken in the microwave, but placing it back in the slow cooker on the high setting for about 30 minutes is best. Stir every 10 minutes or so.
Can queso chicken be frozen?
Sure thing! Just keep it in an airtight container in the freezer, where it’ll stay fresh for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy it, place the frozen queso chicken in the refrigerator and allow it to thaw for a few hours, preferably overnight. Then, reheat it as normal.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Don’t open the lid of the Crockpot during cook time unless it’s absolutely necessary! Every time you open the lid, steam escapes, and you’ll have to add more time to the overall cook time.
- You can shred the chicken right there in the Crockpot with two forks. There’s no need to transfer the chicken to a separate dish for shredding.
- I’ve found that the best method of getting the most tender chicken is to cook it at the low setting for 7 hours.
Whether you’re serving queso chicken over rice, in a tortilla, or as a dip, you’re going to love how rich, cheesy, and flavorful it is!
More crockpot chicken recipes we love
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Crockpot Queso Chicken (Dip or Meal!)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 10 oz. Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilis
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 16 oz. queso cheese
- green onion tops optional
- Prepare the liner of the crock pot with a non stick cooking spray.
- Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the liner.
- Top the chicken breasts with taco seasoning. Add the diced cream cheese and the cubed queso and then top with the diced tomatoes and green chilis.
- Cover and Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 7 hours.
- Remove the lid and shred the chicken breasts (use two forks). Stir the contents well and serve as desired.
- Save leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can serve this both as a chicken queso dip or as chicken queso tacos. Either way they are DELISH!