Dinner doesn’t get much easier or more delicious than this Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup! This flavor-packed slow cooker dinner is a weeknight favorite in our home, and for good reason. Try this soup for dinner tonight!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Slow cooker recipes are near and dear to my heart, simply because I love the method of “set it and forget it!” This chicken tortilla soup is so easy to make because the Crockpot pretty much does all of the work for you.
I also can’t get enough of this soup because of how flavorful it is! Made with a medley of seasonings and spices like cumin, oregano and paprika, each bite is more mouthwatering than the last.
It’s also a great way to sneak in veggies if you have any picky eaters in the house. The corn and green pepper blend into this soup seamlessly.
If you need another Mexican-inspired recipe with hidden veggies, you have to make Chicken Folded Tortilla Quesadillas!
Why You’ll Love this Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
- Flavorful: Let’s be honest – we’ve all had our fair share of bland soups before. With this recipe, though, “bland” is the LAST word you’d use to describe this tortilla soup!
- Slow cooker: The best days to use a slow cooked are those days. You know, when you’re so busy you can’t even think about dinner? There’s nothing better than coming home after a long day to a dinner that’s ready to be served!
- Well rounded: This soup has chicken, beans, and a great amount of vegetables. It has everything you need for a well rounded weeknight dinner! If you’re searching for a diet friendly and delicious soup, this is it.
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup in a Crockpot
- Place the chicken at the bottom of the Crockpot.
- Add the vegetable oil on top of the chicken, and toss it to coat the meat.
- Toss in the remaining soup ingredients.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred them with two forks in a separate bowl.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the Crockpot and stir.
- Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla strips. Enjoy!
How can I make it spicy?
As you can see in my pictures, I really enjoy adding freshly chopped jalapeños on top of my soup! They give the soup the perfect amount of fresh, crunchy spice.
Wanna heat things up even more? Cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes work wonderfully in this soup! Just toss them in with the other ingredients at the beginning of the process.
A drizzle of your favorite hot sauce on top also works well!
How long does it stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the refrigerator, this chicken tortilla soup will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to serve it, reheat it either in the microwave, or back in the Crockpot for the best results. Simply place the Crockpot on a low setting and allow it to reheat for about an hour.
Can I freeze it?
You can absolutely freeze this soup!
When you’re ready to serve it, there’s not need to let it thaw. Just place the frozen soup back into the Crockpot on the low setting and stir it every so often, that way it reheats evenly. When it’s fully reheated, it’ll be as delicious as when you first made it!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- To really let the flavors settle in, cook this soup for 5-6 hours on low. Although it’ll still be tasty if you cook it on high for 3-4 hours, I’ve gotten the most flavorful results when I allow it to cook a bit slower.
- I typically don’t serve this soup with any sides, as it has everything a meal needs all on its own! However, a Mexican salad on the side would pair perfectly with this tortilla soup.
- If you want to add more veggies on top of your bowl, freshly chopped avocado is SO good!
Treat yourself to an easy and delicious dinner tonight by making chicken tortilla soup. You’ll be so glad you did!
More crockpot chicken soup recipes we love
- Crockpot White Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 pound of chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 24 ounces chunky salsa
- 15.25 ounces black beans
- 15.25 ounces canned corn
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 7 ounces Tortilla Strips
- Sour Cream
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot and add the vegetable oil, toss the chicken to coat it in the oil so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add the chicken broth, salsa, black beans, onion, bell pepper, cumin, and corn. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breast and using bear claws, or a fork, shred the chicken before adding it back to the soup.
- Serve with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and tortilla strips.