Make dinner something the whole family looks forward to when you bake a Chicken Tortilla Casserole! This easy to make casserole is loaded with bold ingredients like red enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, fresh cilantro, and more. Dig in!
Chicken Tortilla Bake
There’s a reason that casseroles are loved by pretty much everybody. They’re easy to make, can easily be prepared ahead of time, and are always so warm and comforting! This chicken tortilla casserole checks all of those boxes and more.
Chicken tortilla casserole is perfect for those nights when you want something comforting, homemade, and easy. Oh, and flavorful as can possibly be, of course!
Why You’ll Love this Layered Tortilla Casserole:
- Boldly Flavored: Anytime you toss red enchilada sauce or taco seasoning into your dinner, you just know it’s gonna be good!
- Filling: Layers of shredded chicken, flour tortillas, and plenty of cheese are sure to hit the spot and keep you full for a while.
- Easy: Assemble, bake, and enjoy. This is a seriously easy casserole dinner!
Don’t forget to top this casserole off with some crumbled cojita cheese and extra cilantro! Oh, and some sliced avocado is never a bad idea.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Preheat your oven and prepare a baking dish.
- Mix the filling ingredients together.
- Layer tortillas on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Spread half the mixture on the tortillas.
- Layer more tortillas.
- Spread the rest of the mixture on top.
- Top with tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese.
- Rest, garnish, then serve!
- You can cook and shred your own chicken, but I find it easiest to grab a rotisserie from the grocery store.
- To make this dish spicy, add some cayenne powder to your filling. Also, don’t be afraid to enjoy this casserole with your favorite hot sauce!
Use cooked and shredded chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken for this recipe. It’s a great way to use up leftover shredded chicken!
Use your favorite kind of 6-inch flour or corn tortillas.
Yes. Prepare the recipe through step 7. Cover the baking dish and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator and continue with step 8. Because it will be chilled going into the oven, you may need to add a couple more minutes to the bake time.
This casserole is tasty all on its own, but here are some delicious sides to plate it with as well.
I also really love bringing this casserole to potluck parties. It’s always a huge crowd pleaser!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Remember to remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of baking, that way the cheesy top gets nice and bubbly.
- You don’t have to add garnishes your casserole, but they add a very nice, flavorful touch, and make it look so much more enticing!
- You can also use corn tortillas, but I find that flour tortillas hold up the best while baking in this layered recipe.
This kid-friendly chicken casserole dinner is perfect for those weeknights when you need something quick, easy, and delicious.
Can I use homemade taco seasoning?
Absolutely! Use about 3-4 tablespoons of this homemade taco seasoning recipe.
What toppings go well with this casserole?
Any of your favorite taco toppings go well with this casserole! I love using diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, cotija cheese, salsa, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
How long does this chicken casserole last?
Store leftover chicken tortilla casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Whether you’re bringing this easy to make chicken tortilla casserole to a potluck or making it for a Tuesday night with the family, it’s going to be a huge hit!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds cooked chicken shredded
- 15 ounces red enchilada sauce divided
- 1 ounce taco seasoning
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 18 6-inch flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend divided
- Chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, Cotija cheese, and cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Layer 6 tortillas in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, making sure the bottom of the dish is covered. The tortillas will overlap.18 6-inch flour tortillas
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, ¾ of the enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, and cilantro together.1 ½ pounds cooked chicken, 15 ounces red enchilada sauce, 1 ounce taco seasoning, ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Spread half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of the cheese on top of the tortillas.3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Layer 6 more tortillas on top.
- Spread the remaining chicken mixture and 1 cup of cheese on top of the tortillas.
- Top with the last 6 tortillas, remaining enchilada sauce, and 1 cup cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let rest for 10 minutes, top with garnishes, and serve.Chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, Cotija cheese, and cilantro
Leave a Review