Tired of your boring old meat, potatoes, and vegetables? This casserole is a fun mixture of the three, all in one dish! Make this easy tater tot casserole with chicken for an easy weeknight meal.
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe with Chicken
Traditional tater tot casserole is made with ground beef, but this version uses chicken! It’s a great way to use fresh or leftover chicken. There is a creamy sauce and then it all gets covered with tater tots and cheese.
Why You’ll Love this Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole Recipe:
- Super easy: This recipe is beginner friendly recipe that everyone will love.
- Leftover friendly: You can use leftover chicken for this recipe instead of fresh chicken breasts.
- Freezer friendly: This is a great dish to make and freeze for later.
How to make Tater Tot Chicken Casserole
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook until it is no longer pink.
- Mix in the soup, milk, vegetables, cheese and cook until heated through.
- Top with tater tots and remaining cheese, and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Can I use pre-cooked or leftover Chicken?
In a bit of a hurry? You can definitely use pre-cooked, or even leftover chicken. If you decide to go this route, you can skip the second step and just add the chicken in your mixture in step 3.
What type of pan do I need for this recipe?
Remember you are taking the skillet off of the stove and putting it into the oven, so it needs to be able to go in the oven. A cast iron skillet would work best for this recipe.
Can I freeze it?
You can! If you plan to freeze this easy chicken recipe I suggest baking it in a baking dish instead of a cast iron skillet. You can then place foil over the baking dish once it’s cooled and put it in the freezer.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Using butter and oil olive helps the chicken not stick to the skillet.
- Cutting the chicken before cooking it helps reduce your cooking time.
- You can use your favorite cheese on top of the tater tots.
This easy chicken dinner is perfect for busy weeknights and everyone will gobble it up! This is a tater tot casserole you will want to make soon!
More easy chicken casserole recipes we love
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into small 1-inch cubes (see note)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 21 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup 2 cans
- 1/2 cup milk
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (1 package) thawed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 32 oz frozen tater tots 1 package
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the olive oil and butter. Once melted, add in the chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the cream of chicken soup, milk, frozen mixed vegetables, and 1 cup of the cheese. Mix well and cook until warmed through.
- Remove from the heat, top with tater tots, remaining cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the tots are golden.