Combine chicken and pasta together with a flavorful sauce when following this recipe for Chicken Tetrazzini. It is a comforting meal that you can serve with a side of garlic bread.
- What’s in This Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe?
- Variations on Easy Chicken Tetrazzini
- How to Store and Reheat
- How to Freeze
- Serving Suggestions
- Notes from the Test Kitchen
- Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini Step by Step
- More Chicken Casserole Recipes We Love
What’s in This Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe?
If you enjoy chicken, pasta, and mushrooms, this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe is a must-try. It consists of these three ingredients, along with plenty of cheese and a creamy sauce that brings it all together.
- Pasta: Spaghetti noodles are the best noodles to use in this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe. However, if you do not have spaghetti noodles, you can use a few other options, such as egg noodles or angel hair pasta
- Mushrooms: Add an earthy flavor and a meaty texture.
- Onion + Garlic: Enhance the savory flavor of this dish.
- Flour: All-purpose flour thickens the sauce.
- Milk: Any kind of milk adds creaminess and richness to this dish.
- Sour Cream: Adds creaminess and a tangy flavor.
- Broth: Low-sodium chicken broth creates a savory base for the sauce.
- Wine: Dry white wine adds a light and acidic flavor to balance the richness of the sauce.
- Cheese: We like Colby Jack, but you can use any kind of cheese.
- Thyme: Adds a fresh herbal flavor and a pop of color.
- Chicken: You will need shredded cooked chicken for this recipe. You can cook your own or rotisserie chicken from the store.
Variations on Easy Chicken Tetrazzini
This is a great dish for sneaking in veggies. Try adding corn, broccoli, or peas. And if you happen to have a can of cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup on hand, you can use that in place of the broth and sour cream!
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover chicken tetrazzini tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350°F oven for 20-30 minutes, or until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Freeze chicken tetrazzini tightly wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil for up to 2 months. Reheat directly from frozen for about 1 hour.
Chicken tetrazzini is a great meal to serve for date night, but it is also a family-friendly meal that your children will enjoy. Serve it with a side of breadsticks or garlic bread and a glass of wine!
Notes from the Test Kitchen
This chicken tetrazzini is a creamy comfort food! When you want a satisfying meal, this is the one to make. The recipe contains fresh ingredients, including mushrooms and chicken breast that will taste great when combined. Plus, you can make this casserole in no time, even on a busy night when you have a limited amount of time to cook.
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- 12 ounces spaghetti noodles broken in half (¾ box)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups freshly shredded colby jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 9×13 Baking Pan
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; boil pasta to al dente according to package directions, draining and setting aside.12 ounces spaghetti noodles
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over high heat. Add mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes, then add onion and garlic. Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, until tender and browned.4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, ½ cup diced onion, 2 cloves garlic
- Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle the flour over the vegetables. Stir for 30 seconds, then add the milk. Stirring constantly, add the sour cream, broth, and wine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat.½ cup all-purpose flour, 2½ cups milk, 1 cup sour cream, 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth, ¾ cup dry white wine
- Stir in 1¼ cups colby jack and thyme, then season with salt and pepper to taste.2 cups freshly shredded colby jack cheese, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Add chicken and pasta to the sauce, tossing to combine.4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Transfer to a 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to shred your chicken before you prepare this dish. It takes less time and requires much less effort than shredding with a fork.
- Break your spaghetti noodles in half before you boil them. It helps to ensure they cook evenly!
- Make sure you have a large saucepan with enough space to fit all the ingredients, including your pasta and chicken before you transfer it over to the casserole dish.
How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini Step by Step
Cook the Mushrooms: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Boil 12 ounces of spaghetti noodles to al dente according to package directions, draining and setting aside. In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter over high heat. Add 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes, then add ½ cup of diced onion and 2 minced cloves of garlic. Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, until tender and browned.
Make the Sauce: Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle ½ cup of all-purpose flour over the vegetables. Stir for 30 seconds, then add 2½ cups of milk. Stirring constantly, add 1 cup of sour cream, 1½ cups of chicken broth, and ¾ cup of dry white wine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
Add the Cheese: Stir in 1¼ cups of Colby Jack and 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the Chicken and Pasta: Add 4 cups of shredded cooked chicken and the cooked pasta to the sauce, tossing to combine.
Bake the Casserole: Transfer to a 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining ¾ cup of cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.