Dinner is about to get delicious with these tasty chicken stuffed shells. Jumbo shells are stuffed with chicken, ricotta and mozzarella and baked in marinara sauce for pasta dinner the whole family will love.
Chicken Stuffed Shells Recipe
Time for a big plate of comfort in the form of these chicken stuffed shells! Pasta is never a bad idea!
Perfectly cheesy and rich, this baked pasta recipe is full of fresh and vibrant flavors.
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Stuffed Shells Recipe:
How to make chicken stuffed pasta shells
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook the pasta shells in salted water. Drain and let cool.
- Saute the garlic and spinach and set to one side.
- Add in the chicken, cheeses and seasonings and combine.
- Simmer the marinara sauce and cream and stir in the parmesan.
- Pour the sauce into a baking dish.
- Stuff the shells with the chicken and spinach mixture.
- Place the shells in the dish, and mozzarella and bake.
Can you make it ahead of time?
You can easily make this dish up to the point of baking it, then keep it in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap until you are ready to bake it. You can keep it this way for a day or two, and let it come to room temperature before baking in the oven.
What’s the best cut of chicken to use?
I use shredded chicken in this recipe as the small pieces make it easier to stuff. You can shred your own chicken in the Instant Pot or bake a couple of breasts to shred. It’s also a great recipe if you have a rotisserie chicken or leftover roast chicken.
What do you serve it with?
You can easily serve these chicken stuffed pasta shells by themselves, or accompany them with some crusty or garlic bread. Serve them with a side of steamed greens for a healthier option.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- I actually like to cook a whole package of jumbo shells as some of them will break during the cooking process. This way you can pick out perfect shells.
- Don’t overcook the pasta shells. They should not be quite al dente. This will mean you can stuff them without them falling apart.
More Pasta Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- White Chicken Lasagna
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Baked Ziti with Chicken Parmesan
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Stuffed Shells Recipe with Spinach
- 10 oz jumbo shells
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup whole-milk Ricotta
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cut into small cubes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan divided
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Basil for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with salt.
- Add jumbo shells one at a time to prevent them from sticking. Boil until UNDER aldente. You want them to be firm so they don’t break when you stuff them. They will continue to cook in the oven. Use a slotted spoon to gently remove the shells from the pasta water. Set on a cutting board or large plate to cool.
- While the shells boil, heat a medium skillet to a medium heat. Add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Add the spinach, sauté until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer spinach and garlic to a large bowl.
- Add shredded chicken, ricotta, fresh mozzarella cubes, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, egg, salt, and black pepper to the spinach and garlic. Stir until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Add marinara sauce and cream to the same pan you cooked the spinach and garlic in. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir in parmesan cheese. Once the cheese has melted, remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce into a 9×12 baking dish or a similar size. Use a spoon or your hands to stuff the filling into the shells. Arrange them in the pan. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly and the cheese has melted, about 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil