Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce are a great easy chicken appetizer or main course bursting with flavor, but oh so simple. This easy peanut sauce recipe is the ultimate satay sauce for dipping, drizzling, marinating, and more!
Easy Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce
These satay chicken skewers have it all. They are juicy, tender and addictingly delicious! They are a mix of sweet and sour and a tiny bit spicy.
The satay chicken skewers are the perfect dish for warmer days, when all you want to do is enjoy the sun, and not stay on top of the grill. All you have to do is pop them in the oven, for just 20 minutes, and your skewers are ready. They are so tasty, they will definitely become a regular dish in your household and a family favorite.
Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce make a delicious appetizer OR main course!
How to make Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce – Step by Step
The best part, is that these satay chicken skewers are really easy to make! You simply incorporate all of your ingredients in a big bowl. You marinate your chicken -have a little patience here- it will pay off.
The more time you let the chicken sit in the marinade the more flavor you’ll get! And last, but not least, you thread the chicken through the skewers and bake ’em. Finish them off with some coriander, sesame seeds and chili flakes and DONE!
How long to Marinate Chicken Satay Skewers
For most people, marinating overnight, quite often, doesn’t go as planned. We all start out with the best intentions, but then forget along the way. It’s so common. If you are one of those people who always remember to marinate overnight, hurray to you!! Do it for this satay chicken as well! If you are like most people however, don’t worry, we’ve got you!
Marinating for three hours on the same day will do the trick and it’ll be just fine! The sauce will tenderize the chicken and all the flavors of the spices will stand out. If three hours still seem too long, make sure you at least leave them for 20 minutes to marinate in the refrigerator.
Tools for Making Chicken Satay:
5 Wooden skewers
Baking rack – so that the chicken is cooked evenly on every side.
NOTE: You can also go skewer-less if you prefer. The flavors will remain the same. But, come on! Chicken on skewers is just so much more fun, especially if you’ve got little ones. Nothing like dipping a skewer into a delicious satay sauce!
Satay Peanut Sauce Recipe
Let me just say just say, delicious is an understatement. This peanut sauce recipe is literally the kind of sauce you’ll have to restrain yourself from dipping your fingers in while you wait for the chicken to bake. It is just SO GOOD. It’s pretty healthy too and definitely nutritious!
Our Peanut Sauce has a touch of lime to balance out the sweetness of the peanut butter and coconut milk. It’s not wrong what they say, limes can really make a meal. And in this case, they make all the difference in the world. After the skewers have baked, the satay sauce will form a delicious crust on the chicken. This crust will slowly melt in your mouth with every bite. It’s to die for!!
What to serve with Chicken Satay
If serving this easy chicken satay recipe as a main course, I suggest serving with steamed rice. Because chicken and rice is ALWAYS a good idea! The satay chicken skewers are best served warm out of the oven!
Other Easy Chicken Recipes we LOVE:
Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 2 limes
- ½ tsp Sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- ½ tsp Red Pepper flakes
- Cut chicken thighs into bite size chunks
- In a large bowl add peanut butter, coconut milk, soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, garlic powder, ground ginger, chili powder, kosher salt and juice of 2 limes
- Use a whisk to mix until well combined and smooth
- Separate half of the sauce and keep for later to use as a dip
- In the remaining sauce, add the chicken thighs. Rub the sauce so that they are all evenly covered. Let them marinate in the fridge for 3 hours
- Preheat oven 350C
- Remove chicken thighs from marinade and thread them on the skewers. About four pieces on each skewer
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place a rack on it
- Lay chicken skewers on the baking rack
- Cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with some finely chopped fresh coriander, sesame seeds & red pepper flakes.
- Serve with satay sauce while the skewers are still warm!