Easy Chicken Mole is one of our favorite Mexican Chicken Recipes to make any time of year. This EASY Mole Sauce is so flavorful and made in under 30 minutes.
Chicken Mole Recipe
Tis the season for ALL the Mexican food!
We all love the amazing flavors of authentic Mexican dishes, but they can often be complicated and require a pantry full of ingredients you just don’t have and never will.
Luckily for you, I have here the best of both worlds! This Chicken Mole has simple ingredients with easy directions, without skimping on any of the flavors. *Que happy dance*
Rich and creamy chocolate adds a delicious sweetness to combat the spiciness of the peppers, making the perfect sauce! Add the shredded chicken of your choice, and you have a new go-to dinner you’ll love!
What’s In Chicken Mole?
A lot of mole recipes can get pretty complicated with obscure and hard to find ingredients, but this recipe keeps it simple with ingredients you can find at most local grocery stores.
- Olive oil
- Medium onion chopped
- Garlic cloves minced
- Chipotle pepper chopped
- Adobo sauce from chipotle pepper can
- Diced tomatoes with green chiles
- Smooth peanut butter
- Chicken broth
- Chili powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Unsweetened chocolate
- Shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
How To Make Chicken Mole With Homemade Sauce
Chicken mole is amazing no matter how you make it, but when its made with a simple and delicious homemade mole sauce it’s even better. You’ll never have to go out for mole again with how quickly you can put this meal together.
You just have to prep the Easy Mole Sauce either in advance or right before serving. Then stir in the chicken, fully coating in the sauce. Lastly, serve over rice or with warm tortillas. Top with optional toppings such as avocado, sour cream, chopped peanuts, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Mole Chicken
Chicken mole is best-served fun and fresh sides that turn it into a real Mexican fiesta, even if you’re just serving up weeknight dinner. I typically whip up a batch of rice or heat up some tortillas for a quick meal.
If you have a little extra time, I suggest prepping some toppings such as avocado, sour cream, chopped peanuts, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro to make the best taco ever!
If you really want to go above and beyond, here are a few sides that will blow away anyone lucky enough to be invited to dinner.
- Pineapple Cilantro Lime Rice
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beans
- Low-Carb Spicy Mexican Slaw
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Black Bean Mexican Salad
- Food Processor Guacamole
Easy Chicken Mole – A Crowd-Pleasing Dinner Idea
This mole chicken recipe is the dish everyone never knew they needed in their life. It’s perfect to serve at any event or party because whether someone eats it all the time, or has never heard of mole before, they are going to love it from the first bite.
With a main dish this versatile, the possibilities are endless when it comes to how to serve it.
My favorite way is to make a little Mexican taco bar and set out the chicken mole with some tortillas and all the staple taco sides. Everyone always raves over how much they love it and it couldn’t be easier to set up! Truly a win-win situation, because who doesn’t love a party food set up that can be prepared in no time.
If you need a few ideas to jump-start your creativity, be sure to take a look at this helpful guide to setting up a taco bar.
Craving More Mexican Food? Then Check Out These!
If you’re anything like me, then you probably crave Mexican food a little more than you should, but hey you might as well embrace it right? Especially when the recipes are a breeze to make, what’s the excuse not to make Mexican food as much as you want.
My Mexican recipes definitely get the most use in my house, and here are my all time favorites. You’ll definitely want to check these out for yourself.
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Mexican Street Corn Grilled Chicken Salad
- Marinated Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Southwest Chicken Bake
- Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls
Chicken Mole Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 chipotle pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle pepper can
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with green chiles (1 can)
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 lbs shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- rice or tortillas for serving
- optional toppings such as avocado, sour cream, chopped peanuts, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro.
- Place a pot over medium heat and add the oil
- Add the onion and garlic, stirring often for 5 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, tomatoes with green chiles. Stir to combine. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a high powered blender.
- Add the peanut butter, chicken broth, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Blend until well combined.
- Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat. Cook to reduce for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chocolate and stir until melted.
- Stir in the chicken, fully coating in the sauce.
- Serve over rice or with warm tortillas. Top with optional toppings such as avocado, sour cream, chopped peanuts, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!