Chicken Primavera is vibrant, creamy pasta dinner that features tender bites of chicken and a medley of fresh veggies. It’s easy to make and great for when you’re craving some comfort on the healthier side!
Why We Love This Chicken Primavera Recipe
Chicken pasta primavera is one of my favorite summertime dinner recipes. Check out what makes it so fabulous:
- Healthier for you: A combination of carrots, broccoli, and yellow onion adds a subtle sweet and vegetable flavor and make this dish extra nutritious!
- Creamy: Heavy cream and parmesan cheese combine to give you the very best creamy sauce.
- Comforting: While this dish is still loaded with veggies and better for you, it’s also warm, filling, and comforting as can be.
Variations on Chicken Pasta Primavera
You can easily swap in any veggies you have to this dish. Mushrooms and zucchini work great!
If you’re in the mood for a meatless dinner, you can skip the chicken altogether and it’s still a super tasty dish.
How to Store and Reheat
Store chicken primavera in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop and serve over freshly cooked pasta.
I do not recommend freezing this dish, as the heavy cream will separate once thawed.
More Creamy Chicken Pasta Recipes We Love
- Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Rigatoni
- Chicken Mushroom Pasta
- Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Chicken Lazone
- Crack Chicken Pasta
Top Reader Review
“This was easy, quick and simple but turned out incredible!! My husband and son both had second plates, even my daughter loved it and she hates vegetables.” – Nekyna
Chicken Primavera Recipe
- 8 ounces dry penne pasta (½ box)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cubed
- 1½ cups heavy cream room temperature
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (¼ stick)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes diced
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook until al dente.8 ounces dry penne pasta
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan set over medium heat and cook the chicken pieces through.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, add in the cream, Parmesan cheese, butter, carrots, onion, broccoli, and seasonings. Stir on medium heat until the sauce begins to boil. Once it begins to boil, turn down the heat and let the sauce simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.1½ cups heavy cream, ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 cup sliced carrots, 1 cup broccoli florets, ½ cup diced yellow onion, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir in the tomatoes, allowing them to simmer in the sauce for the last 5 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it simmers.2 beefsteak tomatoes
- Remove from heat and serve immediately over the cooked pasta.
- Take care not to overcook the chicken breast or it can become dry.
- You can easily swap in any veggies you have to this dish. Mushrooms and zucchini work great!
- Cook the pasta al-dente.
- You can use any type of pasta with this dish. I used penne, but spaghetti or shells will both work well.
- Don’t use half-and-half or whole milk in place of the heavy cream. It will separate.
- Make sure the cream is at room temperature; this will keep it from curdling.
How To Make Chicken Primavera Step by Step
Cook the pasta: Boil 4 cups of water. Add 8oz of penne to it and cook according to package instructions.
Cook the chicken: Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1lb cubed chicken breast and cook until cooked through.
Make the creamy veggie sauce: Stir in 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 2 tbsp butter, 1 cup sliced carrots, 1 cup broccoli florets, 1/2 cup diced yellow onion, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Stir on medium heat until it begins to boil. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the 2 chopped tomatoes during the last 5 minutes of cook time.
Serve: Serve the chicken and veggie sauce over a plate of cooked penne.