Creamy Mushroom Chicken is a one pan dinner that checks all the right boxes! It’s quick, easy, and oh so delicious. Tender chicken breasts are pan seared to perfection and served in the very best garlicky, buttery, creamy mushroom sauce.
What’s in this Mushroom Chicken Recipe
All of these simple ingredients come together in just one pan to make a quick and easy dinner!
- Chicken Breasts: Make the sauce and use a shredded rotisserie chicken if you’re pressed for time.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic has the best aroma and flavor, so I prefer it over the pre-minced alternative.
- Onion: A yellow onion is best since it has a touch of natural sweetness that compliments the rest of the ingredients perfectly.
- Butter: Avoid too much sodium by using unsalted butter.
- Mushrooms: You can use a variety of mushrooms to change up the flavors and textures.
- Fresh Herbs: Rosemary and thyme create the best herbaceous flavor!
- White Wine: Both sauvignon blanc and chardonnay are good bets when reaching for a cooking wine. Learn more about wines to choose HERE!
- Heavy Cream: This is what creates the best creamy consistency. I don’t recommend swapping it with any other dairy product.
PRO TIP: When deglazing, make sure you use a wooden spoon so you don’t end up scratching your pan!
Variations to Try
- Add spinach or kale to this dish.
- Make this creamy chicken recipe a bit spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
- For more veggies in your dish, add diced celery or carrots when you saute the mushrooms.
- Stir some Dijon mustard into your sauce for an extra tangy kick.
You can use baby bellas (baby portobello mushrooms), but white mushrooms, cremini, or whatever you can get your hand on are fine! The only thing that’s best to avoid are canned mushrooms, fresh is best.
The most certain and safe way to check for doneness is to use a meat thermometer! Chicken is fully cooked and safe to eat once the thickest part of the breast reaches 165°F.
Yes! Just adjust the cooking time as needed. Chicken thighs tend to take a little bit longer to cook.
How to Store and Reheat
Once cooled to room temperature, any leftover creamy mushroom chicken you have will stay good in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warmed all the way through.
More Creamy Chicken Recipes We Love
- Creamy Chicken Piccata
- Creamy Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Rosemary Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Chicken Stew
- Creamy Chicken Meatballs
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium sized onion
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Finely mince onion and garlic
- In a skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, keep the rest for later
- Add minced onion and garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme
- Add the mushrooms
- Saute for 7 minutes on medium heat until golden brown
- Remove from skillet and set aside
- Melt 2 tablespoons of remaining butter in the same skillet
- Add chicken breasts and cook for 8-10 minutes on each side on medium heat until thoroughly cooked
- Deglaze with white wine
- Add the mushroom, garlic, onion & herb mixture back in the skillet
- Let everything cook on medium-low heat for 5 mins
- Add cream and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, garnish with some fresh thyme and rosemary
- If you don’t like Thyme or Rosemary, substitute with Basil and Oregano, or use Tarragon.
- Include Dijon mustard for an extra kick.
- Garnish with some fresh thyme and rosemary.
- Both sauvignon blanc and chardonnay are good bets when reaching for a cooking wine.
- In a pinch you can use rotisserie chicken.