Creamy Mushroom Chicken is a one pan dinner that checks all the right boxes! It’s quick, easy, and oh so delicious. Tender chicken breasts are pan seared to perfection and served in the very best garlicky, buttery, creamy mushroom sauce.
Why We Love This Mushroom Chicken Recipe
This easy, creamy mushroom chicken recipe is always a hit in my house. Here’s why I can’t stop making it for dinner:
- A one pan meal. Yes! This recipe is made all in one pan, which means it’s easy to make and even easier to clean.
- The best sauce. Wine, herbs, cream, garlic, butter – need I say more?
- Seared to perfection. The chicken breasts get pan seared to golden brown perfection, which is always enough to make my mouth water!
Variations to Try
- Add spinach or kale to this dish.
- Make this creamy chicken recipe a bit spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
- For more veggies in your dish, add diced celery or carrots when you saute the mushrooms.
- Stir some Dijon mustard into your sauce for an extra tangy kick.
- You can use baby bellas (baby portobello mushrooms), but white mushrooms, cremini, or whatever you can get your hand on are fine! The only thing that’s best to avoid are canned mushrooms, fresh is best.
How to Store and Reheat
Once cooled to room temperature, any leftover creamy mushroom chicken you have will stay good in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warmed all the way through.
More Creamy Chicken Recipes We Love
- Creamy Chicken Piccata
- Creamy Chicken Skillet
- Creamy Rosemary Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Chicken Stew
- Creamy Chicken Meatballs
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium sized onion
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Finely mince onion and garlic
- In a skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, keep the rest for later
- Add minced onion and garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme
- Add the mushrooms
- Saute for 7 minutes on medium heat until golden brown
- Remove from skillet and set aside
- Melt 2 tablespoons of remaining butter in the same skillet
- Add chicken breasts and cook for 8-10 minutes on each side on medium heat until thoroughly cooked
- Deglaze with white wine
- Add the mushroom, garlic, onion & herb mixture back in the skillet
- Let everything cook on medium-low heat for 5 mins
- Add cream and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, garnish with some fresh thyme and rosemary
- If you don’t like Thyme or Rosemary, substitute with Basil and Oregano, or use Tarragon.
- Include Dijon mustard for an extra kick.
- Garnish with some fresh thyme and rosemary.
- Both sauvignon blanc and chardonnay are good bets when reaching for a cooking wine.
- In a pinch you can use rotisserie chicken.
How To Make Creamy Mushroom Chicken Step by Step
Sauté the mushrooms: Melt 2 TBSP butter in a skillet. Add 1 medium minced onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 TBSP fresh rosemary and 1 TBSP fresh thyme. Add 1 cup chopped mushrooms and sauté until golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Cook the chicken and deglaze: Melt the remaining 2 TBSP butter in the pan. Add all 3 chicken breasts and cook on each side for 8-10 minutes or until fully cooked. Deglaze the pan with 1/3 cup white wine.
Add the mushrooms back: Add the mushroom, onion and herb mixture back into the skillet. Let everything cook at medium-low heat for just about 5 minutes to warm through.
Make it creamy: Add 2 cups heavy cream and let gently simmer for about 5 minutes before removing from the heat.