When you’d like a fulfilling southern-style meal, this Chicken Bog recipe is a must-have. It’s a tasty meal consisting of shredded chicken, smoked kielbasa sausage, and several other fresh ingredients.
What’s in this Chicken Bog Recipe?
When you’re craving a wholesome meal using chicken as the main ingredient, try this perlo recipe. The smoked kielbasa sausage brings a unique flavor to this dish that pairs perfectly with the rice, chicken, and other ingredients. It’s the kind of meal that keeps you full for hours.
- Olive Oil: Helps the sausage and veggies cook without burning.
- Smoked Kielbasa: Adds a rich smoky flavor.
- Onion: Adds an earthy sweetness.
- Carrots: Adds a touch of sweetness and color.
- Garlic: Adds an earthy flavor and a pungent aroma.
- Rice: Use long-grain white rice for the best results.
- Salt + Pepper: Enhance the flavor of this dish.
- Chicken Broth: Adds moisture and flavor.
- Rotisserie Chicken: This recipe is perfect for using up leftover chicken.
- Parsley + Lemon Juice: Add a pop of freshness, acidity, and color.
Pro Tip: Make instant pot shredded chicken to save time!
Variations on Chicken Perlo
You can swap out the kielbasa for another type of smoky sausage, or try using chicken sausage instead. You can also add different veggies, like bell peppers, celery, or mushrooms. For a hint of spice, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
Chicken Bog is a popular southern dish consisting of smoked sausage, shredded chicken, and white rice combined with flavorful seasonings. Although it’s popular in the South, anyone can make this meal.
It is called “bog” because the chicken gets bogged down in the rice and it is a wet dish.
This chicken dish has origins in West Africa and Spain, although it is popular in South Carolina.
They are essentially the same dish, except bog tends to be a bit wetter.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover chicken bog in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave sprinkled with a bit of water in 30-second increments until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Freeze this chicken dish whole or in individual portions in airtight containers or Ziplock bags for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
This chicken perlo is a one-pot meal your whole family is sure to love. Start your meal off with a BBQ chicken salad or a grilled chicken Caesar salad. Some cornbread or biscuits would make a perfect side.
Chicken Bog Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 ounces smoked kielbasa sausage sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from ½ lemon)
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add in the sausage and cook on both sides until browned, about 5 minutes.2 tablespoons olive oil, 14 ounces smoked kielbasa sausage
- Add in the onion and carrots, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.1 onion, 1 cup chopped carrots
- Add the garlic, rice, salt, and pepper, and cook until fragrant and rice begins to toast, about 3 minutes.2 cloves garlic, 1½ cups long-grain white rice, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, about 15-20 minutes.4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Stir in the chicken and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes.4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Off the heat, stir in parsley lemon juice and serve.3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Use any leftover cooked chicken in place of the rotisserie chicken.
- Or bake the chicken at home. Bake seasoned chicken breasts at 450°F for 15-20 minutes or until they read 165°F on a thermometer.
- Use fresh juice from a lemon instead of bottled lemon juice for the best flavor.