Arroz con Pollo is an easy one pot dinner that will satisfy the whole family! Browned chicken is cooked to perfection atop a bed of seasoned rice before being sprinkled with peas. This is an all-in-one dinner idea that you’re going to love adding to your weeknight routine.
Skillet Arroz con Pollo Recipe
There’s something about the phrase “one pot dinner” that gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling! Knowing that in just one pot I can prepare chicken, rice and veggies for the whole family makes me smile. The best part? Only one dish to wash!
This arroz con pollo recipe is authentically Latin and draws influences from Spain and Puerto Rico. The rice is deliciously flavored with bold ingredients like chicken stock, tomato paste and garlic, while the chicken is cooked with an array of seasonings guaranteed to make your mouth water. This is our take on the recipe but this is not authentic and def not as good as if you’re able to try it in Latin America!
Why You’ll Love this Arroz con Pollo:
- One pot recipe: Easy preparation and even easier cleanup. What’s not to love about an easy one pot recipe?!
- Flavorful: Between the bold ingredients and even bolder seasonings, you won’t be missing out on any flavor with this easy dinner. That’s part of what makes it so satisfying!
- Filling: No one will be going hungry after a heaping serving of chicken, rice, and peas. Between the delicious amount of flavors and the heartiness of this dish, it’s truly satisfactory.
How to make Arroz con Pollo (one pot!)
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Mix the seasonings and season the chicken with it.
- Brown the chicken and set it aside.
- Cook the onions and brown the rice.
- Stir in the broth, tomato paste, and salt.
- Simmer the chicken and rice in the mixture.
- Sprinkle with frozen peas.
- Cover and cook.
- Serve with cilantro and lime wedges.
How can I make arroz con pollo spicier?
The cayenne powder that the chicken is seasoned with will already provide a good amount of heat. However, if you’d still like more, double the cayenne pepper.
You can also serve this dish with freshly chopped jalapeños and your favorite hot sauce for some real added heat!
How long will it stay fresh?
This homemade arroz con pollo will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to keep it in an airtight container so it doesn’t dry out!
When you’re ready to enjoy your one pot masterpiece, I recommend reheating it back in the pot. The microwave will most likely dry out both the rice and chicken. In the pot, consider adding a splash of broth to keep it from being dry as well.
Do I have to use chicken thighs?
Not at all! While my favorite way to prepare arroz con pollo is with thighs, you can use several other cuts of chicken instead.
Breasts and drumsticks both work perfectly with this recipe.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Be careful not to let the peas sit for over 5 minutes with the lid on. If they overcook, they’ll quickly become mushy and lose their intended consistency.
- Red bell pepper is best for color and flavor in my opinion. However, an orange or yellow bell pepper will work in a pinch.
- Do NOT skip browning the chicken! Although you can fully cook it and make sure it’s safe to eat by just cooking it with the rice, it won’t be nearly as delicious. The browned skin with all the seasonings is what makes this dish so unforgettable!
Arroz con pollo is a one pot recipe that is as easy as it is flavorful!
More skillet recipes we love
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Skillet
- Greek Chicken Skillet
- Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet
- Lemon Pepper Chicken Skillet
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Arroz con Pollo Recipe
For the chicken:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 5-6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil
For the rice:
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 3 ¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Chopped cilantro and lime wedges
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 teaspoons salt, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne. Use it to season both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add in the oil and chicken, skin side down. Cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side. If the pan seems crowded, cook the chicken in 2 batches. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan. Cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the rice and cook until it is beginning to brown around the edges, about 60 seconds.
- Stir in the broth, tomato paste, and salt until well mixed and the tomato paste has dissolved. Return the chicken to the pan, skin side up, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes until the rice and chicken are cooked through.
- Sprinkle on the frozen peas, cover and let sit off heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
- In place of chicken broth, you can use water or vegetable broth.
- Feel free to use 4 chicken breasts instead of thighs. Or boneless skinless chicken thighs. Even drumsticks!