This easy Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet recipe features juicy, tender chicken thighs with crispy skin served in the best honey mustard sauce! Ingredients like fresh rosemary, sautéed garlic and onions, and dijon mustard put this recipe a step above the rest.
Why we love this Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
Just smelling the aromatic rosemary and garlic in this recipe is enough to make my mouth water. Here are just a few more reasons I’m obsessed with this easy recipe:
- One pan. Everything gets cooked in one skillet, so clean up is a real breeze. That’s a huge win in my kitchen!
- So much flavor. The dijon mustard, honey, fresh rosemary, sliced onions and minced garlic make this chicken anything but bland. It’s the best balance of sweet and savory flavors. Consider adding some pink peppercorns to make it even more dynamic.
- Crispy skin. Use a cast iron skillet if you have one to get that crispy skin on your seared chicken thighs!
What mustard should I use?
When it comes to recipes for honey mustard chicken, you will find a lot of variation in the choice of mustard, from yellow mustard to dijon. I personally love using dijon mustard! I really enjoy the depth of flavor it creates, as well as the hint of spiciness.
How to Store and Reheat
Once everything has cooled to room temp, you can store any leftovers you have in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. It’s best reheated back in a pan over medium-low heat to preserve that crispy skin.
How to Freeze
Freeze honey mustard chicken thighs for up to 3 months. Don’t transfer the chicken to your freezer safe storage container until it’s completely cooled to room temperature! When you’re ready to serve, let it thaw in the fridge prior to reheating.
This is one of those all-purpose chicken dishes that we use for everything. It’s great right out of the skillet, drenched in the mustard sauce and served next to roasted potatoes and asparagus or quinoa and green beans. You can have it in salads, lunch time wraps, or a quick flatbread pizza or even sliced on a sandwich.
More Honey Mustard Chicken Recipes We Love
- Honey Mustard Roast Chicken
- Air Fryer Honey Mustard Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
Top Reader Review
“Made it exactly as stated and it was absolutely delicious. My family loved it! A new family favorite!” – Diane P.
Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Peel & slice onion and garlic
- In a cast iron skillet pan, heat 3 tbsp of the extra virgin olive oil, on medium heat
- Add garlic, onions and rosemary sprigs
- Sauté for 7 minutes on medium heat until golden brown
- Add 2 tbsp of the honey and sauté for another 2 minutes
- Remove onions, garlic and rosemary from pan and set aside
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in same pan
- Add chicken thighs and cook for 8 minutes on each side, on medium heat
- Add onions, garlic and rosemary back in the pan
- Add remaining 1 tbsp of honey and dijon mustard.
- Add chicken stock and mix with a wooden spoon so that all ingredients are well combined
- Let everything simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until sauce thickens and chicken is thoroughly cooked
- Garnish with rosemary and enjoy!
How to make Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet Step by Step
Sauté the aromatics: Place 3 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 minced garlic clove, 1 sliced onion and 3 rosemary sprigs to the skillet and cook until golden brown.
Make it sweet: Add 2 tbsp of honey, stir, and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
Cook the chicken: Remove everything from the pan and set aside. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to the pan, then add all of the chicken thighs (2 lbs). Cook for about 8 minutes per side over medium heat.
Add mustard: Add the onions, rosemary, and garlic back to the skillet with the chicken. Add 1 tbsp of honey and 3 tbsp of dijon mustard to the skillet, along with pink peppercorns if you have them!
Add stock: Pour 1 cup of chicken stock into the skillet. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together to combine as best you can.
Simmer: Gently simmer everything for about 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat.