This Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken Recipe is a healthier take on the classic Chinese takeout and it’s even more delicious! Succulent chicken is slathered in a tangy sauce and served with a side of fluffy rice. So easy to make in less than 30 minutes!
- Why we love this Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
- Variations On General Tso’s Sauce
- How to Store and Reheat
- Serving Suggestions
- More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes We Love
- Top Reader Review
- Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
- How to make Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken Recipe Step by Step
Why we love this Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
My family doesn’t even ask for take-out anymore – they only ask for this air fryer chicken recipe! Here’s why I love making it as often as I do:
- Air Fryer Recipe: Air frying chicken is an healthier option for when you want the crunch that comes with fried foods but not the calories and fat. It also tends to have a quicker cook time than many foods that are typically baked in the oven.
- Saucy: This sauce has a wonderfully salty and tangy mix that makes it totally addictive!
- Versatile: There are so many different variations to try. Check out the section below for some inspiration!
Variations On General Tso’s Sauce
If you want to vary the taste, here are some ideas! Comment below and let me know what worked for you.
- If you like a sweeter sauce, you can add 1 tablespoon sugar in the sauce.
- To make this hot, add 6 whole dried red chilies while stir frying the chicken.
- Add a little orange zest to brighten the dish up.
- If a sweeter sauce is a must for you, add 1 tablespoon of honey.
How to Store and Reheat
Let your leftover General Tso’s chicken cool to room temperature prior to storing in an airtight container in the fridge. It’ll keep for about 2-3 days. To reheat, I recommend popping it back in the air fryer or oven until heated through.
Try to avoid reheating it for too long, or you’ll dry out the sauce!
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes We Love
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
- Air Fryer Nashville Hot Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chili Lime Chicken
- Air Fryer Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
Top Reader Review
“I followed your recipe spot on. It was excellent! Just the right amount of heat and tanginess. Excellent. And it was so simple.” – Terry
Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
For the Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Dash of black pepper
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Chicken:
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss the chicken with cornstarch, salt and pepper, coating evenly.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt, Dash of black pepper
- Spray Air Fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken in basket, separate the pieces so they cook all the way around.
- Air fry for 10 minutes, tossing the basket once at 5 minutes to flip the chicken over.
For the Sauce:
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a small, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat.¼ cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, ½ teaspoon ginger paste, 2 garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Whisk until brown sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer about 5 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the air fried chicken and coat evenly.
- Serve over white or brown rice.
How to make Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken Recipe Step by Step
Cook the chicken: Toss 1lb chicken breasts (that have been cut into small pieces) in 2 tbsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt and a dash of black pepper. Spray the air fryer basket with a little bit of non-stick spray. Place the coated chicken in an even layer in the basket and cook at 400°F for 10 minutes, then flip the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes.
Make the sauce: Add 1/4 cup ketchup, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp dark brown sugar, 1/2 tsp ginger paste, 2 crushed garlic cloves and 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes to a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until the brown sugar has dissolved and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for about 5 minutes or so until thickened.
Toss it all together: Pour the sauce all over the cooked chicken to fully coat it.