Take your chicken & waffles to a whole other level with this chicken and waffle casserole! Eggo waffle pieces and chicken strips are baked in the oven with honey and a seasoned egg mixture and served with crumbled bacon and maple syrup. Yum!
What’s in Chicken and Waffles Casserole?
This chicken and waffles casserole is made with crispy chicken and Belgian Eggo waffles that are baked in a mixture of eggs, honey, milk, maple syrup, butter, cinnamon, and salt for the richest and most decadent breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Waffles: We used Eggo Belgian waffles, but feel free to use your favorite brand of frozen waffles. You could also make your own from scratch if you’d like!
- Chicken: We kept it simple and used frozen breaded chicken strips. Popcorn chicken, chicken tenders, and fried chicken also work well for this recipe.
- Honey: Although optional, honey makes the perfect pairing for breaded chicken and waffles!
- Eggs: A necessary ingredient for this tasty casserole! Don’t skip it.
- Milk: We used whole milk for this recipe as it makes for the richest, creamiest casserole, but any type of milk will work.
- Maple Syrup: You can’t have chicken and waffles without maple syrup! Stick to raw maple syrup and avoid the pancake syrups.
- Butter: Melted unsalted butter will make mixing much easier. Allow it to cool a bit in the fridge after melting.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon adds just a touch of warm spice to enhance all the yummy sweet flavors.
- Salt: Salt is needed if you are using unsalted butter. If your butter is salted, omit the salt or add it to taste.
Get ready because your taste buds are in for a party!
Spicy Chicken Waffle Casserole
To make this chicken and waffle casserole spicy, try swapping the breaded chicken strips for spicy breaded chicken strips or my hot honey fried chicken, and use hot honey instead of regular honey!
Trademark Note: In the spirit of transparency, I want to note that some of these ingredients are trademarked products. Eggo is a proprietary brand that I want to acknowledge and give credit to.
Yes! This is a breakfast casserole, so it tastes great with pure maple syrup.
Absolutely! I love a good breakfast for dinner recipe, and this one ticks all of the boxes!
Yes! Instead of baking the casserole, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed the next morning.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken and Waffle Breakfast Casserole
Store leftover chicken and waffle casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat covered with aluminum foil in a 350°F oven for about 20-30 minutes, until warmed through.
How to Freeze Chicken and Waffles Breakfast Casserole
Freeze chicken and waffle casserole tightly wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to Serve with Chicken n Waffles Casserole
We also love how these chicken and waffles taste with Corn Casserole, Sautéed Vegetables, and these tasty Sausage Cheese Balls with Sweet Potato and Chorizo.
Chicken and Waffle Casserole Recipe
- 10 frozen Eggo Belgian waffles cubed
- 25 ounces frozen breaded chicken strips chopped into bite-sized pieces (1 package)
- 2-3 tablespoons honey optional
- 8 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup not pancake syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooked crumbled bacon optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×13-inch baking pan, or spray with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Place the waffles on chicken on two baking sheets (or 1 if they'll fit!). Bake the waffles for about 7 minutes, until softened. Remove them from the oven and cut them into cubes when cool enough to handle.10 frozen Eggo Belgian waffles, 25 ounces frozen breaded chicken strips
- Continue cooking the chicken for another 8-10 minutes, then remove.
- To the baking dish, add a single layer of chopped waffles. Top with half of the chicken pieces. Layer the remaining waffles and chicken. Drizzle with honey, if using.2-3 tablespoons honey
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, butter, cinnamon (if using), and salt until well combined. Slowly pour the egg mixture evenly over the casserole, pressing down to ensure it’s all soaked in (almost like a bread pudding).8 large eggs, ¾ cup whole milk, ⅓ cup pure maple syrup, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Bake for 45-60 minutes. Serve with crumbled bacon and additional maple syrup.Cooked crumbled bacon
- Feel free to use homemade fried chicken and homemade waffles for this recipe! Just skip steps 2 and 3.
- This casserole can be made in advance – just plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.