Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is a quick and easy dinner recipe that is sure to satisfy everyone around the table! Chicken breasts are pressure cooked to juicy perfection in a truly divine marsala wine sauce. Enjoy this restaurant staple at home in just under 30 minutes!
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala Recipe
This recipe features two of my favorite words – Instant Pot! While I love the traditional way of preparing Chicken Marsala, this pressure cooking method certainly saves a lot of time and the results are just as good. If you need a quick dinner recipe, this is the one for you!
You’ll be surprised at how incredible this traditional Italian dish is when made in the Instant Pot. Truly, it beats out most restaurant chicken marsalas I’ve tried.
Even though you’re saving about 20-30 minutes of time by following this Instant Pot recipe instead of going traditional, no one will be able to tell you cut any corners.
Why You’ll Love this IP Chicken Marsala:
- Instant Pot: I love my pressure cooker SO much because it always yields the most perfectly cooked chicken recipes in half the time it usually takes to make them!
- Authentic: Although we’re saving time with this recipe, we’re not cutting any corners when it comes to authentic Italian ingredients. This is a real chicken marsala through and through.
- Weeknight Dinner: This is an ideal weeknight dinner. While it’s easy to make, it’s also incredibly delicious and you’ll be totally satisfied with your easy dinner!
How to make Chicken Marsala in an Instant Pot
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Season and dredge the chicken.
- Sauté butter in the Instant Pot.
- Sauté the chicken breasts in batches until golden brown.
- Set the browned chicken aside.
- Melt more butter before sautéing shallots, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Pour in the wine and chicken broth.
- Add the chicken back in.
- Cook on Manual for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure using quick release.
- Transfer the chicken to plates.
- Combine the corn starch and water to make a slurry.
- Pour the slurry into the pot.
- Press the Cancel button.
- Press Sauté and allow the mixture to thicken while it simmers.
- Stir in the heavy cream once thickened.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with parsley, and enjoy!
How long will this chicken marsala stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the refrigerator, this dish will stay fresh for up to 3 days. The best part? It reheats very well in the microwave! Just make sure to save all of the mushroom sauce along with the chicken so your leftovers will stay moist.
Why isn’t my sauce thickening?
Cornstarch can be tricky sometimes. If you notice that your sauce isn’t thickening as it simmers, make another slurry and add it little by little to the sauce, stirring it in as your pour. Continue pouring it in in incriminates until you have a thick sauce.
What should I serve with chicken marsala?
I usually serve my chicken marsala with a carb that will absorb the savory mushroom sauce, like egg noodles or rice.
Other than that, this dish is also delicious when paired with vegetables! Vegetables provide a freshness that balance with the heavier entrée on the plate.
Any roasted, grilled or baked vegetable of your choice will be perfect when plated with chicken marsala.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- With all Instant Pot recipes, I recommend that you read through the pamphlet before cooking if it’s your first time using it. While I’ve provided the instructions, it’s still good to get to know the machine prior to making anything in it.
- Don’t skip searing the chicken! The golden brown color and crispy texture of the outside of the breast is so delicious and a huge part of why this dish is so good.
- In a pinch, you can use half of a yellow onion in place of a small shallot, but the shallot is recommended for best results.
With creamy, rich marsala sauce and juicy chicken breasts, there’s nothing not to love about this quick and easy Instant Pot chicken marsala recipe!
More Instant Pot chicken recipes we love
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Chili
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts pounded flat or sliced thinly (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons butter or olive oil divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in flour.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the Instant Pot and press the Sauté button.
- Once the butter is heated, sauté each chicken breast for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. You will need to do this in batches. Use 2 more tablespoons of butter for the second batch.
- Once the chicken is browned, set aside on a plate.
- Add in another tablespoon of butter. Once melted, add in the shallot and garlic and sprinkle with salt. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and a dash of salt and sauté for a couple minutes.
- Pour the wine and chicken broth into the pot, and add the chicken back in.
- Cook on the Manual setting for 10 minutes. Then, release the pressure using the quick release function.
- Open the lid and transfer the chicken to a serving platter or plates.
- Combine the corn starch and water to make a slurry and pour it into the pot.
- Press the Cancel button. Then, press the Sauté button and let the mixture simmer and thicken.
- Once the mixture has thickened, stir in the heavy cream if using.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken breasts and finish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.