Get dinner on the table in under thirty minutes with this easy Instant Pot BBQ Chicken recipe! Chicken breasts are dry rubbed with a bold blend of spices before being pressure cooked to tender perfection and served with sticky BBQ sauce.
What’s in this Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Recipe
This recipe is so simple, you might just have everything you need already in your kitchen now!
- Spices: You’ll need chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt and black pepper for this flavorful recipe.
- Olive Oil: Avocado oil also works well if preferred.
- Chicken Breasts: I like to use free-range organic chicken when I can.
- Chicken Broth: Create the BEST flavor when you use homemade chicken broth!
- BBQ Sauce: Any brand works so just choose your favorite. You can also feel free to use homemade BBQ sauce if you have a little extra time.
PRO TIP: Add some spice by sprinkling cayenne powder into the dry rub mix!
Can I make this with chicken thighs?
I prefer to make this recipe with chicken breasts as that’s more popular in our house, but you can make this with thighs too.
You shouldn’t have to adjust the timing as we do a natural pressure release, but double check that they are fully cooked through.
Because BBQ is quite thick, I like to add in some additional broth so that it doesn’t burn. Mix it together well before adding the chicken. This will stop you from getting the dreaded burn signal.
Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release. If you quick release it, the chicken may not be fully cooked through.
Yes! Avoid this by not overcooking your chicken. Even a minute or two past the cook time can make your chicken turn rubbery.
How to Store and Reheat
Leftovers will stay fresh when covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. The chicken can be reheated in the oven at 350°F or sliced cold and served with salads.
This Instant Pot BBQ chicken is a great weeknight family meal, and it’s great to serve with all your veggie and potato sides. Go simple with some steamed broccoli, or try one of these side dish recipes:
Top Reader Review
- “Amazing recipe! Was absolutely delicious. The chicken was very moist and tender. The quick prep and cook time is a huge plus.” – Penny Irby
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes We Love
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tenders
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Piccata
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups BBQ sauce divided
- Combine the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small dish. Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the spice mixture on the chicken breasts, fully coating them.1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Add the remaining olive oil to the Instant Pot. Press the Sauté button. Once the oil is heated, brown the chicken breasts, two at a time, on each side for 2 minutes.
- Press the Cancel button. Add in the broth and ½ cup BBQ sauce and stir. Add in the chicken breasts.1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, 1½ cups BBQ sauce
- Press the Manual button and set the timer for 10 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the Instant Pot. Brush with remaining BBQ sauce until coated to your liking.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release. If you quick release it, the chicken may not be fully cooked through.