These freezer breakfast burritos are easy to meal prep, filled with fluffy eggs, sausage, cheese, onion, and bell pepper! Don’t skip the most important meal of the day with these easy-to-grab, make ahead breakfast burritos!
Frozen Breakfast Burritos
These make ahead, freezer-friendly breakfast burritos are the perfect meal prep option for busy mornings.
Filled with eggs, cheese, sausage, and more, you can make a batch of these frozen breakfast burritos when you have time, and they’ll be ready to microwave in an instant.
Why You’ll Love these Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos:
- Easy: This easy freezer breakfast burrito recipe just requires whipping up some scrambled eggs, cooking sausage, wrapping, and freezing!
- Filling: These are the best breakfast burritos because they are full of protein keeping you full longer!
- Delicious: These meal prep breakfast burritos only require a little salt and pepper for flavor, but the bell peppers and cheese make it even tastier! The best way to spice these up, even more, is to add red pepper flakes, pepper jack cheese, or hot sauce.
Make ahead breakfast burritos are truly the best way to get ahead of your busy week! It’s a great recipe because you can change it up as well. Add other seasonings or vegetables to make them even more suited to your personal preference. Trust me when I say, freezer friendly breakfast burritos are a game-changer!
How to Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. See the exact measurements in the recipe card down below.
- Pour egg mixture into a medium skillet and scramble.
- In a large skillet, sauté the breakfast sausage and then transfer it to a plate.
- In the same skillet sauté the onion and bell pepper. Then add in the potatoes after five minutes. Sour cream and hot sauce are optional.
- After cooking, open the tortillas and add your cooked ingredients to each. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Fold and roll burritos rightly.
- Cooking the burritos, so the sides are golden brown is optional.
- Otherwise, serve or store the burritos in the freezer. If storing in the freezer, you can use freezer bags or another airtight container.
Yes, there are a few ingredients that I do not recommend adding to freezer breakfast burritos. I do not recommend adding avocado, as it can become mushy once thawed. I also recommend avoiding sour cream, as it can become extremely watery once thawed. Finally, I recommend avoiding high-water-content vegetables, such as raw tomatoes or lettuce. Feel free to add any of these ingredients after your burritos have been thawed, though!
Tortillas can crack if they are too cold when you try to roll them. To prevent cracking, warm the tortillas in a skillet over medium heat for a few seconds or covered with a damp paper towel in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
To prevent your breakfast burritos from becoming soggy, avoid adding ingredients that are very watery, such as salsa or high-water-content vegetables. If you do use high-water-content vegetables, be sure to sauté them first to remove excess moisture. When reheating the burritos, take care to reheat them until just warmed through. Otherwise, the eggs could overcook and cause the burritos to become soggy.
Leftover freezer breakfast burritos can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before they need to be frozen. Reheat as directed in the recipe.
Freeze breakfast burritos tightly wrapped in aluminum foil and set in a large Ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight before reheating.
- Meat: Try bacon, ham, tofu, beans, or ground turkey.
- Veggies: Feel free to add your favorite veggies, such as mushrooms, spinach, chopped jalapeños, pickled onions, etc.
- Potatoes: Swap the frozen cubed potatoes for frozen hash browns or tater tots.
- Cheese: Use your favorite cheese, such as pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Colby, or mozzarella.
These breakfast burritos are great served with:
- Fresh fruit
- Chips and guacamole
- Side salad
- A dollop of sour cream
- A drizzle of hot sauce
Check the recipe card for details on how to reheat these frozen breakfast burritos in the microwave, oven, Air Fryer, or stove.
I hope you love this freezer breakfast burritos recipe! All you have to do is warm it up on a microwave-safe plate, and you’ll be ready to go! Are there changes you would make to this recipe that you’d like to share? Let me know how it turns out in the comments below!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Freezer Breakfast Burritos Recipe
- 12 large eggs 1 carton
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 cups frozen cubed potatoes
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas 1 package
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together. Pour into a greased skillet over low-medium heat. Scramble until cooked to your liking.12 large eggs, ½ cup milk, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a separate skillet, sauté the breakfast sausage over medium heat until fully cooked. Transfer the sausage to a plate.1 pound breakfast sausage
- Heat the oil in the same skillet. Add in the bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle with salt and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the potatoes to the skillet and sauté for a couple of minutes.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 bell pepper, ½ onion, 2 cups frozen cubed potatoes
- To assemble the burritos, spread the tortillas out on the counter. Add equal amounts of eggs, sausage, and potato mixture to the middle of each tortilla. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top.8 (10-inch) flour tortillas, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fold up the bottom half of the tortilla over the fillings. Fold in the sides toward the middle, and tightly roll up into a burrito.
- If desired, heat a bit of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place 1-2 burritos at a time in the skillet, cooking for a couple minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately or store the burritos by wrapping them in foil and freezing in a large sealable bag.
- Defrost the burritos in the microwave or overnight in the refrigerator. Unwrap from the aluminum foil.Air Fryer: 370°F for 10 minutes.Oven: 425°F for 15-20 minutes.Stovetop: 4-5 minutes per side over medium heat.Microwave: 1-2 minutes on high.
- Try bacon, ham, tofu, beans, or ground turkey instead of the sausage.
- Feel free to add your favorite veggies, such as mushrooms, spinach, chopped jalapeños, pickled onions, etc.
- Swap the frozen cubed potatoes for frozen hash browns or tater tots.
- Use your favorite cheese, such as pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Colby, or mozzarella.