Eggs in Purgatory are eggs poached in a thick, delicious tomato sauce. The sauce is rich, seasoned and utterly addictive. Mop at all up with some crusty bread! This so easy to make and so good to eat!
Eggs In Purgatory goes by many names and has many recipe variations. There’s the popular, spicy Middle Eastern version, shakshuka which calls for peppers, sweet paprika, and cumin. Then there’s huevos rancheros, a close cousin to Eggs In Purgatory.
My recipe packs the sauce with seasoning and it’s topped with goats cheese, it’s the perfect brunch!
How To Make Eggs In Purgatory – Step By Step
Add onion and garlic and saute for 6 minutes on medium heat until golden brown, then add whole peeled tomatoes and smash them slightly with a wooden spoon.
Add whole cherry tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon stick, chili flakes and water.
Let everything simmer for 8-9 minutes on medium heat, then add butter and let it melt.
Use a wooden spoon to create five divots into the sauce for eggs and add each egg in into a divot and let them cook for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle goat cheese, salt and pepper and garnish with cilantro on top.
Serve with some bread on the side and enjoy!
What Is Eggs In Purgatory?
Eggs in Purgatory is a one skillet meal that is simply a dish of eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce.
What To Serve with This Dish
Bread! Serve it with sourdough bread that’s toasted until crispy. You can use the toast to help swipe up all of that delicious seasoned tomato sauce as you eat your eggs in purgatory.
How To Store Eggs In Purgatory
This dish is best enjoyed right away, but you could refrigerate extra tomato sauce for up to 3 days. To Reheat, rewarm the recipe and serve it with a freshly cooked egg.
Top Tips For Eggs In Purgatory
- Best served immediately.
- Serve with crusty bread.
- Use a wooden spoon to make 5 holes for the eggs.
Garnishes make food better
Top with cilantro and crumbled goat’s cheese. SO tasty!
Check Out These Other Delicious Brunch Recipes
Have you tried These Eggs In Purgatory? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Eggs in Purgatory
- 5 eggs
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes 24oz/ 800g
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 4 slices toasted bread optional
- Mince onion and garlic
- In a cast iron skillet heat extra virgin olive oil
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 6 minutes on medium heat until golden brown
- Add whole peeled tomatoes
- Smash them slightly with a wooden spoon
- Add whole cherry tomatoes
- Add cumin, cinnamon stick, chili flakes and water
- Let everything simmer for 8-9 minutes on medium heat
- Add butter and let it melt
- Use a wooden spoon to create five divots into the sauce for eggs
- Add each egg in into a divot and let them cook for 10 minutes
- Sprinkle goat cheese
- Sprinkle salt and pepper
- Garnish with cilantro on top
- Serve with some bread on the side and enjoy!