Easy Mole Sauce is such a great addition to your favorite meals! We love Chicken Mole and learning how to make this Homemade Mole Sauce has made all the difference for our best Mexican recipe!
Table of Contents
Easy Mole Sauce Recipe
Nothing quite beats going out for Mexican food with your girls. What if I said you could bring all of those things you love to your own kitchen?
That’s right, authentic Mexican with restaurant style quality taste, and you don’t even have to get out of your pjs! Oh, how good does that sound? This extremely versatile mole sauce recipe is a Mexican cuisine classic, and one of my all-time favorites. Its an easy way to take any at home Mexican dish and it a more authentic taste.
I know around here I preach easy and simple, and would often say just buy the sauce, but in this case, it is worth every moment of your time to make. Just trust me on this one, and let’s get cooking!
What is Mole Sauce?
If you’re more of a casual Mexican cuisine enjoyer, you might be scratching your head at this term right now, but no worries, I’m here to help!
Mole is actually a much broader term than you would think. It encompasses a wide variety of sauces used for Mexican cooking. The sauces can have a variety of flavors, but most of the time include a mix of a lot of different spices and ingredients to create a unique taste.
They can range from bittersweet to spicy and are made in different levels of consistency, but most, like this recipe, in particular, combine hot peppers that are toned down by sweet chocolate.
How To Make Mole Sauce
With a mole sauce this easy to make, you’ll never have to go out for mole again. You won’t believe how simple the recipe is!
Just place a pot over medium heat and add the oil. Then add the onion and garlic, stirring often until softened and fragrant. Now add the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, tomatoes with green chiles and stir to combine. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Carefully pour the mixture into a high powered blender and add the peanut butter, chicken broth, chili powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper, blending until well combined. Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat and cook stirring occasionally. Lastly, add the chocolate and stir until melted.
What To Do With Your Mole Recipe
There is so much you can do with this easy mole sauce recipe. It’s perfect for adding a fun twist on any of your traditional Mexican dishes. Mole can be added to almost any recipe you want, so here are a few of my favorite dishes to add it to!
We all know a good Mexican dish isn’t complete without some traditional sides an drinks to really make it a party. Once you choose what you’ll add your mole sauce to, the next step is choosing what goes with it, to turn it into a meal no one will be able to forget.
So whether you’re just hosting a Taco Tuesday, or a big Cinco De Mayo party, be sure to check out some can’t miss Mexican recipes.
How Do I Store Homemade Mole Sauce?
Mole sauce is so easy to store and save for later. No need to worry about only making enough to use for one recipe, you can make enough to last you months if you want to.
Simply place in an airtight container or glass jar. Once put into the proper container store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and use for Chicken Mole when ready! Can also freeze for up to 2 months. Enjoy!
Who Doesn’t Love Easy Recipes?
If you liked this simple sauce recipe, you’ll love my easy dinner recipes even more. With new recipes added every week, you’ll never run out of amazing dinner ideas.
Here are a few recipes that are constantly on rotation at my house:
You’ll Always Want This Easy Mole Sauce on Hand
There’s no reason to skip out on this recipe with flavors and ease like this! Trust me the only regret you’ll have is that you didn’t make more.
I know you and your family will devour it as much as mine does and don’t forget to tell me your thoughts once you’ve tried a batch.
Easy Mole Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 chipotle pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle pepper can
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with green chiles 1 can
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- Place a pot over medium heat and add the oil
- Add the onion and garlic, stirring often for 5 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, tomatoes with green chiles. Stir to combine. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a high powered blender.
- Add the peanut butter, chicken broth, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Blend until well combined.
- Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat. Cook to reduce for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chocolate and stir until melted.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container and use for Chicken Mole when ready! Can also freeze for up to 2 months. Enjoy!