Creamy and hearty Buffalo Chicken Soup has all of the flavor and spice of classic Buffalo wings, in soup form. Ready in less than an hour, quickly satisfy any Buffalo craving with this homemade soup recipe!
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup
If you love anything with Buffalo sauce or flavor, this Buffalo chicken soup is for you! It’s creamy, cheesy, protein-packed, and has a little kick to keep you coming back for more.
Made with ranch dressing, cream cheese, and plenty of Buffalo sauce, this easy soup recipe is a delicious addition to game day or any potluck.
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Soup Recipe:
- EASY: Perfect for any night of the week, this simple one-pot recipe is ready in less than an hour.
- SPICY: Buffalo chicken soup has a little kick!
- CREAMY: While this soup is broth-based, cream cheese and ranch dressing add a welcome creaminess and offset the spice.
Get out of a dinnertime rut with this spicy and savory Buffalo chicken soup!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Sauté the vegetables in a Dutch oven.
- Mix in the flour, broth, ranch, and Buffalo sauce.
- Add the chicken breasts, bring to a boil, and simmer until cooked through.
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts and shred them.
- Stir in the cream cheese.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and add additional Buffalo sauce for more spice.
- Serve with blue cheese crumbles and sliced green onions.
Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this soup recipe.
Absolutely! Instead of chicken breasts, use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. They may need a couple extra minutes to cook through.
Yes, this is a great way to use up leftover shredded (or cubed) chicken. Add the cooked chicken to the recipe in step 7. Heat until the chicken is warmed through and the soup is hot.
Buffalo chicken soup is delicious with:
- Homemade bread or bread bowls
- Celery and carrots sticks
- Tortilla chips
Warm up chilly days with a big pot of this creamy chicken soup!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Use your favorite kind of store bought or homemade ranch dressing and Buffalo sauce.
- For spicier Buffalo chicken soup, stir in more Buffalo sauce in step 7.
- Top each bowl of soup with chopped green onions and blue cheese crumbles.
Delicious for lunch or dinner, Buffalo chicken soup always hits the spot.
How spicy is Buffalo chicken soup?
This Buffalo chicken soup isn’t too spicy. Feel free to stir in a little extra sauce before serving!
What brand of Buffalo sauce should I use?
Use your favorite kind of Buffalo sauce. I usually use Sweet Baby Ray’s or homemade Buffalo sauce.
Can I freeze this soup?
I don’t recommend freezing this soup. When frozen and thawed, creamy soups can become grainy. Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
It doesn’t get much better than loaded Buffalo chicken soup!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ¼ cup Buffalo sauce plus more to taste
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature and cut into cubes
- Chopped green onions and blue cheese crumbles for garnish
- In a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat, melt the oil and butter together. Add the onion, celery, and carrots, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, 1 cup red onion, 2 stalks celery, 2 carrots, Kosher salt, Ground black pepper, 1 clove garlic
- Add the flour, stirring to coat the vegetables.1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Pour in the chicken broth, ranch, and Buffalo sauce.4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, ½ cup ranch dressing, ¼ cup Buffalo sauce
- Add the chicken breasts to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked.1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Remove the chicken, transfer to a bowl to cool slightly, then shred or chop it.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the softened cream cheese cubes, stirring well until the cheese is melted and incorporated.8 ounces cream cheese
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot, stir well, and cook until warmed through. For a spicier soup, add more Buffalo sauce. Serve garnished with green onions and blue cheese.Chopped green onions and blue cheese crumbles