If you’re craving comfort food, Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is just the recipe for you! All of the creamy, flavorful fixings of chicken pot pie are baked to perfection with fluffy biscuits on top. This is an easy dinner that always hits the spot!
What’s in this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
All of the classic chicken pot pie ingredients you know and love are baked beneath a layer of soft, fluffy biscuits. Are you drooling yet?
- Butter: I like to use unsalted butter since we’re sprinkling salt in later.
- Olive Oil: You can use avocado oil instead if you’d like.
- Vegetables: You’ll need a medley of carrots, celery, yellow onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- Chicken: Shredding an already made rotisserie chicken from the grocery store will save you some time, rather than cooking your own chicken.
- All-Purpose Flour: This is what thickens the pot pie mixture.
- Chicken Broth: For the best results, I always recommend making your own homemade chicken broth!
- White Wine: Use a dry white wine like chardonnay. Avoid using sweet white wines like riesling.
- Heavy Cream: This is what makes the pot pie mixture to deliciously thick and creamy!
- Seasonings: A simple mix of salt, pepper, dried thyme and dried basil creates the very best flavor.
- Biscuits: I like to keep thing quick and easy by using a package of Pillsbury Grands Original Biscuits.
PRO TIP: Try not to over-bake this casserole! As soon as the biscuits are a delicious golden brown color after about 30 minutes of baking, the casserole’s ready to be removed from the oven.
Can I make this recipe without wine?
Yes! If you’d like to opt out of using white wine, simply replace it with an equal amount of chicken broth.
Absolutely! Instead of pre-made biscuits, top this chicken pot pie casserole with homemade biscuits. I love this easy homemade buttermilk biscuits recipe!
You’ll need 3 cups of cooked, shredded chicken for this casserole. This is a wonderful way to use up leftover chicken. However, I like to pick up a rotisserie chicken and shred it to save time.
Half and half will also do the trick.
How to Store and Reheat
In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftovers you have of this casserole will stay fresh for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, or for even better results, right back in the oven.
How to Freeze
Once this chicken pot pie casserole with biscuits has cooled to room temperature, you can store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Serve this southern staple of a dinner with some other classics from below the Mason Dixon line!
Top Reader Reviews
- “My neighbor raved about this recipe and she was 100% right! It is delicious and one of my favorite dinners to share with friends and family.” – Sue Mills
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 4 ounces button mushrooms chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 16.3 ounces Pillsbury Grands Original Biscuits 1 package
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat.4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add the diced carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes.2 carrots, 2 celery ribs
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.1 yellow onion, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the cooked shredded chicken and chopped mushrooms and cook for 1 minute.3 cups rotisserie chicken, 4 ounces button mushrooms
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and chicken mixture and cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Stir in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze the pan.2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Pour in the white wine and cream. Stir well.¼ cup white wine, 1 cup heavy cream
- Season to taste with salt and add the pepper, thyme, and basil. Stir well and continue to cook until the mixture reaches a thick, stew-like consistency.½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon dried thyme, ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- Pour the chicken stew mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Arrange the biscuits on top.16.3 ounces Pillsbury Grands Original Biscuits
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling bubbles and the biscuits are golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.