If you love enchiladas, this flavorful yet simple Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake is the perfect recipe. Enjoy a cheesy meal with sliced chicken, diced tomatoes, chilies, and more!
Mexican Chicken Pasta Bake Recipe
When you’re at a Mexican restaurant, do you often order the enchiladas? If so, you’ll love making this Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake. It combines the zesty taste of enchiladas with cheese, pasta, and other fresh ingredients to prepare a wholesome meal your family will love.
When you want to make a simple meal that won’t have you in the kitchen for the rest of the day, follow this Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake recipe. It contains simple ingredients and is easy to put together.
It won’t take long for this meal to bake! Once it’s ready, you can serve it to your family.
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake Recipe:
- Family friendly: It’s a flavorful dish that everyone in the household can enjoy!
- Quick and easy: It doesn’t take long to assemble the dish or bake it in the oven, so you can have a homemade meal in no time.
- Flavorful: This pasta is full of Mexican inspired flavors without all the work of homemade enchiladas.
How to make Chicken Enchilada Pasta in the oven
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
1. Set your oven to 400 degrees F and lightly coat your 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Add oil to a skillet, season your chicken, and then cook it until it’s not pink.
3. Add cumin, garlic powder, and lime juice to your chicken before you turn it to cook it on the other side.
4. Add an additional tablespoon of oil into the skillet, saute your onion, and cook it for about five minutes.
5. Put your garlic into the skillet and cook it for an additional 30 seconds before tossing your tomatoes, corn, and chilies into the skillet.
6. Add half of the enchilada sauce, stir, and simmer everything for five minutes before removing it from the heat.
7. Add a cup of cheese and let it melt into the mixture.
8. In the meantime, add your pasta to boiling water, cook as directed on the package, and drain it.
9. Toss it with any leftover oil, add your chicken, and then add the enchilada sauce mixture on top.
10. Transfer everything to your baking dish and drizzle extra enchilada sauce on top before covering the top layer with cheese.
11. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
What kind of pasta do I need for this pasta bake?
It’s best to use rotini pasta when preparing the Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake. You can also use a similar pasta such as elbows or mini bow ties.
Can I use homemade enchilada sauce?
Yes! You can use your favorite homemade enchilada sauce in this recipe. A canned enchilada sauce will save you time, but feel free to use your own sauce if you prefer.
How long does it bake?
The recipe needs to get baked for at least 20 minutes in the oven. Most of the cooking is done before you put it in the oven, so you only need 20 minutes to melt the cheese.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Garnish your meal with a bit of fresh cilantro for added flavor.
- You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs as well.
- Feel free to use your favorite small pasta in place of rotini.
The next time you’re craving Mexican-style food, consider trying this Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake. It’s savory, cheesy, and perfect to eat together with the family.
More Mexican chicken recipes we love
- Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken Burritos
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Salad
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole Skillet
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake Recipe
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ lime juiced
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes & chilies
- 1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce divided
- 12 ounces rotini pasta uncooked
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese divided
- Cilantro for garnish
- Sour cream for serving
- Lime wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken over medium heat for 6-7 minutes, until no longer pink. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, garlic powder and lime juice before turning. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet and saute the onion for 5-6 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the corn, tomatoes & chilies, and ½ of the enchilada sauce. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta following pack instructions. Drain and toss with the remaining oil in a large bowl. Add the chicken and the enchilada sauce mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Drizzle on the remaining enchilada sauce, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Garnish with cilantro and serve with a dollop of sour cream and lime wedges.