This is the very best Chicken and Waffles recipe you’ll ever make! Oven baked chicken drumsticks are coated in buttermilk and cornflakes, then served over homemade waffles. Every forkful of this easy dinner features crispy chicken, fluffy waffles, and as much honey as your heart desires!
What’s in this Chicken and Waffles recipe
There’s nothing quite like crispy fried chicken stacked atop a heaping pile of homemade waffles! Here’s what you’ll need to make this comfort food classic:
- Chicken Drumsticks: Bone-in and skin-on is the way to go for crispy flavor.
- Cornflakes: They’ll need to be crushed for the best consistency.
- Egg Whites: These are the binder that will hold the breading together.
- Buttermilk: You can always make your own by combining 1 TBSP of white vinegar with 1 cup of water!
- All-Purpose Flour: This is what gives the waffles their structure.
- Sugar: Just a touch of sweetness from white granulated sugar is all the waffles need. The real sweet flavor should always come from the honey on top!
- Baking Powder: Measure with care! This is what makes the waffles rise to the best fluffy consistency.
- Salt: Just a pinch.
- Milk: I use whole milk when making homemade waffles.
- Butter: Unsalted and melted is what you’ll need for the waffle batter.
- Vanilla Extract: I always recommend using 100% pure vanilla extract, not imitation.
- Honey: For drizzling on the chicken and waffles, of course! You can also use maple syrup.
Pro Tip: If possible, use a good quality organic honey with a rich golden color. The sugary sweet stuff that’s super cheap doesn’t lend the best deep honey flavor like the real deal does.
Cornflake Coating for Crispy Chicken
The best chicken and waffles recipe has to have super crispy chicken, and that’s why I use cornflakes.
Frying obviously crisps up chicken wonderfully, but it’s not always the healthiest option. By coating the drumsticks in cornflakes, you are able to oven bake them and still achieve that delicious crunchy bite.
For me, the only cut of chicken to use for restaurant quality chicken and waffles is a drumstick. The bone in chicken helps to keep the meat succulent when it is cooked, and they are easy to pick up and gnaw on if you feel so inclined!
Honey is my absolute favorite topping for chicken and waffles. You can always spice things up by using hot honey if you’d like! Of course, maple syrup is always a great option if you’re not a honey fan.
Technically, yes – especially if you don’t have a waffle iron. If you do have a waffle iron, please give this fluffy homemade waffle recipe a shot! You’ll be amazed at how much better the results are.
How to Store and Reheat
Let everything cool before storing. Store the baked chicken and homemade waffles in separate containers. Use resealable bags, and/or wrap pieces in aluminum foil. They’ll both keep for 3 days.
Reheat chicken in an Air Fryer for the quickest and crispiest results. Reheat waffles in a toaster/oven. I do not recommend freezing this dish.
This classic comfort dish pairs well with crispy bacon, a fried egg, or fresh and flakey biscuits. And it tastes so great with French toast sticks or loaded scrambled eggs.
Best Chicken and Waffles Recipe
- 4 chicken drumsticks bone-in, skin-on
- 3 cups corn flakes crushed
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven at 350F/170C
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and place a cooling rack on top of it.
- Spray the cooling rack with non-stick cooking spray
- In a bowl, add the egg whites and buttermilk and whisk with a fork until frothy3 egg whites, 1 tbsp buttermilk
- In a separate bowl add the corn flakes3 cups corn flakes
- Dip the chicken in the egg white mixture then dip them in the cornflakes. Press firmly with your hands until the drumsticks are covered in corn flakes4 chicken drumsticks
- Arrange the drumsticks on the cooling rack and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown. If they begin to brown too much, carefully remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil, then continue baking.
- Preheat waffle iron
- In a bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt
- Mix well until combined
- Add the milk, eggs, butter and vanilla extract and whisk the waffle batter until well combined2 eggs, 1 ½ cups milk, 6 tbsp unsalted butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add waffle batter in the waffle iron and cook until waffle is golden brown and crispy
- Serve immediately while still warm, add the chicken drumsticks on top, drizzle some honey, and enjoy!2 tbsp honey
This recipe was contributed by Michaella at Well + Yum.
Leave a Review