This is the very best Chicken and Waffles recipe you’ll ever make! Oven-baked chicken drumsticks are coated in buttermilk and Corn Flakes, and then served over homemade waffles. Every forkful of this easy dinner features crispy chicken, fluffy waffles, and as much honey as your heart desires!
- Why We Love This Chicken and Waffles Recipe
- What’s the best chicken to use in this recipe?
- How to Store and Reheat
- How to Freeze
- Serving Suggestions
- More Breakfast Recipes We Love
- Top Reader Review
- Chicken and Waffles Recipe
- How To Make Chicken and Waffles Step by Step
Why We Love This Chicken and Waffles Recipe
This is the ultimate fun brunch or dinner recipe! Here’s why it’s worth turning on the waffle maker for:
- So crispy: The best chicken and waffles recipe has to have super crispy chicken, and that’s why I use Corn Flakes. By coating the drumsticks in Corn Flakes, you are able to oven-bake them and still achieve that delicious crunchy bite.
- Homemade waffles: This easy recipe for homemade waffles is so fluffy and amazing! They’re so much better than frozen waffles.
- Easy: Since we’re not frying the chicken, you won’t have to worry about cleaning up any hot oil. This recipe is so easy, the kids can help – especially with the waffles!
What’s the best chicken to use in this recipe?
For me, the only cut of chicken to use for restaurant quality chicken and waffles is a drumstick. The bone in chicken helps to keep the meat succulent when it is cooked, and they are easy to pick up and gnaw on if you feel inclined!
How to Store and Reheat
Let everything cool before storing. Store the baked chicken and homemade waffles in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat chicken in an air fryer for the quickest and crispiest results. Reheat waffles in a toaster/oven.
How to Freeze
Freeze chicken and waffles in separate airtight containers for up to 3 months. Reheat directly from frozen in the oven or air fryer for the crispiest results.
This classic comfort dish pairs well with crispy bacon, a fried egg, or fresh and flaky biscuits. And it tastes so great with French toast sticks or loaded scrambled eggs.
More Breakfast Recipes We Love
- Crockpot Breakfast Burritos
- Crescent Roll Breakfast Pizza
- Eggs Florentine Benedict
- Chicken and Waffle Casserole
- Chicken Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich
- Egg McMuffins
Top Reader Review
“My family goes crazy when I make this for them! They love it so much and ask for it often!” – Suzy
Chicken and Waffles Recipe
For the Chicken:
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks
- 3 cups crushed corn flakes cereal
- 3 egg whites large eggs
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
For the Waffles:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 240 grams
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 13 grams
- 1 tablespoon baking powder 12 grams
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs 100 grams, room temperature
- 1½ cups milk 341 grams, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter 85 grams, melted (¾ stick)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 4 grams
- 2 tablespoons honey 44 grams
- Kitchen Scale (optional)
- Baking Sheet
- Waffle Iron
For the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a metal cooling rack on top of it. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites and buttermilk together with a fork until frothy.3 egg whites, 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Place the cornflakes in a separate medium bowl.3 cups crushed corn flakes cereal
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg white mixture, then dip it in the corn flakes. Press firmly with your hands until the drumsticks are covered in corn flakes.4 bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks
- Arrange the drumsticks on the cooling rack and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and 165°F internally. If they begin to brown too much, carefully remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil, then continue baking.
For the Waffles:
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together until well combined.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Add the milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and whisk the waffle batter until it is well combined.2 large eggs, 1½ cups milk, 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add ¼-½ cup waffle batter to the waffle iron and cook until the waffle is golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately while still warm, add the chicken drumsticks on top, and drizzle some honey, and enjoy!2 tablespoons honey
- A serving is 1 drumstick and 1-2 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle maker.
- Keep the waffles warm in a 200°F oven.
- Properly cooked chicken is 165°F internally.
- If possible, use a good quality organic honey with a rich golden color. The sugary sweet stuff that’s super cheap doesn’t lend the best deep honey flavor like the real deal does.
- For a spicier take, drizzle with hot honey!
How To Make Chicken and Waffles Step by Step
Whisk the eggs and buttermilk: Whisk together 3 egg whites and 1 tbsp buttermilk until frothy.
Coat and bake the chicken: Place 3 cups of crushed Corn Flakes in a separate bowl. Dip each piece of chicken (4 drumsticks total) into the egg white mixture, then into the cereal. Press firmly with your hands until the drumsticks are covered in Corn Flakes. Arrange the drumsticks on the cooling rack and bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes.
Mix the dry ingredients: Mix together 2 cups flour, 1 tbsp granulated sugar, 1 tbsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt until combined.
Add the wet ingredients: Mix in 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 eggs, 6 tbsp butter and 1 tsp vanilla until combined.
Cook the waffles: Add about a fourth or a half a cup of batter to the hot waffle iron at a time. Cook until the waffle is golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the remaining batter.