This Air Fryer Whole Chicken is the easiest way to cook a rotisserie chicken! The meat itself turns out juicy and delicious every time, while the crispy, seasoned skin can rival any rotisserie. If you love using your air fryer, you have to try this foolproof recipe!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken with Herbs
I think I speak for everyone when I say that we’ve all ruined a whole chicken at some point in our lived! When cooking a whole bird, it can be very intimidating. That’s why most days, we just cook drumsticks, wings, breasts and tenders.
However, this air fryer chicken recipe is hands down the easiest way I’ve ever cooked a whole bird! It’s quick, easy, and tried and true. I’ve shared this recipe with several friends, and none of them can believe how perfectly the air fryer cooks the chicken. You have to try it!
If this recipe piques your interest, then you need to also make my Instant Pot Whole Chicken and let me know which one you like more – I can’t decide!
Why You’ll Love this Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken Recipe:
- Air Fryer: I love any excuse to break out my air fryer! It’s amazing how much quicker it is to cook the whole chicken in there, rather than the oven.
- Perfectly Seasoned: This chicken certainly doesn’t lack any flavor. It’s seasoned to perfection with oregano, thyme, Italian and poultry seasonings!
- Great Meal Idea: Making a whole chicken as the entree for dinner is always a good idea, because you know everyone will be able to eat their favorite part! Wings, drumsticks, and breasts are all available to choose from.
How to make Whole Chicken in an Air Fryer (Rotisserie Chicken)
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Prepare the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Clear out the cavity of the chicken.
- Combine avocado oil, poultry, and Italian seasonings.
- Brush oil onto chicken.
- Stuff chicken with fresh herbs.
- Tie the legs together.
- Place the chicken into the air fryer.
- Cook the chicken for 1 hour.
- Flip the chicken.
- Cook fo an additional 15 minutes.
- Check the temperature of the chicken before serving.
How do I know the chicken is fully cooked?
This is most nerve-racking part about cooking a whole chicken – what if it’s not done? It would be pretty upsetting to cut into the beautifully cooked chicken, just to discover uncooked meat inside.
To avoid this, use the definitive thermometer method to check for doneness. Stick a meat thermometer into the center of the chicken, where the meat is the thickest.
If it reads at least 165°F, it’s fully cooked and safe to eat.
How long will cooked rotisserie chicken stay fresh?
When storing any leftovers you may have, make sure they’re in airtight container(s) in the fridge! There, the leftover pieces of chicken will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
A whole cooked chicken will also last that long in the fridge, if it’s kept in the right container. However, I recommend eating the whole chicken when it’s freshly cooked!
You can reheat any leftovers you have right back in the air fryer.
What should I serve with chicken and herbs?
The answer to this question is pretty limitless! To be honest, I change up my side dishes every time I serve this chicken, just to keep things interesting!
Here are a few side dishes I’ve paired with this chicken that my family has practically begged me to make again:
Recipe Tips and Notes
- To add some truly mouthwatering zest, squeeze some fresh lemon juice onto the chicken before cooking.
- If you can’t find any avocado oil, any other neutral flavored cooking oil will work just fine. Vegetable or olive oil will get the job done!
- Be picky when selecting a whole chicken. Sadly, they’re not all created equal! Ask your local butcher for the best or the best – that’s what I do.
Discover your new favorite way to cook a whole chicken with this new air fryer recipe!
More Air Fryer recipes we love
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer Honey Mustard Chicken
- Air Fryer Flamin’ Hot Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Whole Chicken Recipe (Rotisserie Chicken)
- 5- pound whole chicken fresh
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh oregano
- Cooking spray
- Cooking twine
- Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Remove any extra items from the cavity of the chicken.
- In a small bowl combine avocado oil, and poultry and Italian seasonings.
- Brush oil mixture onto whole chicken.
- Stuff whole chicken with sprigs of fresh thyme and oregano. Then tie the legs together with cooking twine.
- Place chicken into air fryer, breast side down.
- Set air fryer to 350F for 1 hour. Cook.
- When cook time is complete, carefully flip the chicken, breast side up, and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Ensure internal temperature has reached 165F for doneness.
- I used a 5.8qt air fryer with a 5-pound chicken.
- You can use olive oil instead of avocado oil.
- Cooking breast side down first will keep the breast meat juicy.
- Make sure your chicken doesn’t contact the heating element while cooking, it will burn.
Leave a Review