Take your chicken parm to the next level with this fried chicken parmesan recipe. Simple to make, this is one gloriously crispy bite and perfect for the whole family.
Traditional Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Chicken parm is a family favorite here, and I’m pretty sure it’s loved in your home too! I often oven bake it, but this fried version is so ridiculously tasty!
The seasoned breadcrumb and parmesan coating gets so crispy and the chicken is perfectly cooked and tender. Topped with marinara sauce and gooey mozzarella, this fried chicken parmesan is restaurant worthy!
Be sure to try my Crockpot Chicken Parmesan and Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan too!
Why You’ll Love this Fried Chicken Parmesan Recipe:
- Easy: Bread and fry your chicken, then bake with your toppings. Perfect for a weeknight meal.
- So crispy: You guys, this fried chicken parm is so delicious and crispy, frying keeps the chicken nice and moist and every bite is super yum!
- Super popular! If you love chicken parmesan, you will love this traditional fried recipe. It’s been a hug hit here for sure!
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Pound the chicken to an even thickness and season.
- Dredge the breasts in flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumb parmesan coating.
- Fry the chicken in oil and butter on the stovetop.
- Spread each piece of chicken with marinara sauce and top with cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and the chicken is cooked through.
Can you make it ahead of time?
This fried chicken parmesan is best served as soon as it’s made so that the breading is nice and crispy. You can prep and dredge the chicken up to 24 hours ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge til you are ready to cook.
If you do have leftovers, they will keep well for 3 to 4 days in the fridge and can be reheated in the oven at 350F til fully warmed through.
Why fry chicken parm?
We all know that frying isn’t the healthiest option, but, as a once in a while treat, this is a must have recipe!
The chicken stays perfectly juicy and tender and he breadcrumb coating is addictively crispy. Baking is a great option, but nothing tastes quite like fried!
What do you serve it with?
I like to serve chicken parm on a bed of spaghetti or angel hair pasta for one comfort food dish. It’s great served with a side salad or veggie side too. It’s also delicious served in a roll for a crispy chicken sandwich!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Cut the chicken breast in half (butterfly) to make them thinner so that they cook through evenly.
- Make sure that the oil and butter are hot before adding in the chicken to fry. If the pan is cold, your chicken won’t be as crispy.
- Serve immediately for the best flavor and texture.
This fried chicken parmesan recipe is crazy delicious! Turn your dinner time into a real feast with very little effort!
More Italian Chicken Recipes We Love
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Traditional Chicken Parmesan Recipe (Fried)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts butterflied
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs Panko, regular, or a combination of both
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cooked spaghetti or angel hair pasta for serving
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking oil spray and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and place onto a cutting board. Use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to a thickness of ½-inch. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Kosher salt, Black pepper
- Set out 3 shallow bowls. Add flour to the first bowl. Add eggs and beat them in the second bowl. Combine the breadcrumbs, ½ cup of Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a third bowl.¼ cup all-purpose flour, 2 eggs, 1 cup breadcrumbs, ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Press both sides of the chicken breasts into flour, evenly but lightly coating them.
- Dip the chicken breast into the eggs, then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the crumbs into both sides. Repeat for each breast. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, melt the butter and oil together. Fry the chicken in batches until crispy and golden, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer the cooked breasts to the prepared baking dish.2 tablespoons unsalted butter, ½ cup olive oil
- Spread each breast with 1/4 cup of marinara sauce, then layer with slices of provolone cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, and remaining Parmesan cheese.1 cup marinara sauce, 4 slices provolone cheese, ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 165°F. Broil for 1-2 minutes on high for browned, bubbly cheese.
- While the chicken bakes, boil the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.Cooked spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- Serve chicken over pasta, garnished with shaved Parmesan and fresh basil or parsley, if desired.Shaved Parmesan cheese, Fresh basil or parsley
- Chicken: Cut the chicken breasts in half (butterfly) to make them thinner so that they cook through evenly.
- Crispy Chicken: Make sure that the oil and butter are hot before adding in the chicken to fry. If the pan is cold, your chicken won’t be as crispy.
- Serve immediately for the best flavor and texture.
Leave a Review