Made in the pressure cooker with just six simple ingredients, this Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is the definition of an easy weeknight dinner! This zesty, flavorful salsa chicken is made in only 30 minutes and will have everyone around the dinner table asking for seconds!
Quick and Easy Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
Whether you serve this shredded chicken on a tortilla or in a burrito bowl, you’re sure to be satisfied with your meal! Ingredients like chili powder, cumin, and salsa flavor the chicken, making it seriously mouthwatering.
Besides the flavor being delightfully Southwest, the chicken itself is also tender, juicy, and shreds easily! This recipe has everything I love about a Crockpot dinner in just a fraction of the time. Gotta love that Instant Pot – it’s pure magic!
Lately, I can’t get enough of Mexican-inspired dishes! If you’re in the same boat as I am, be sure to check out my Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole, Chicken Tamale Casserole, and Healthy Baked Chicken Fajitas.
Why You’ll Love this Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Recipe:
- Inexpensive: There’s nothing better than a dinner that can feed the whole family for under $15! With only 6 ingredients needed to make this dish, it’s an inexpensive recipe that will fit your budget.
- Quick: After a long day, you probably don’t want to work for over an hour on dinner. That’s why this recipe comes in handy! It takes only 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Flavorful: Although the list of ingredients is short, the ingredients on the list are flavorful and bold! No one would dare call this salsa chicken bland.
How to make Shredded Salsa Chicken in an Instant Pot
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Season the chicken breasts.
- Place them in the Instant Pot.
- Pour the salsa and broth over the chicken.
- Cook on Manual for 15 minutes.
- Let the steam release naturally for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, let the remaining steam release using the quick release button.
- Shred the chicken.
- Stir the shredded chicken with the salsa sauce.
- Serve, and enjoy!
How should I serve salsa chicken?
I like to switch it up every time I serve this chicken! Sometimes, I serve this shredded chicken in flour tortillas with a little shredded cheese, chopped onions and cilantro. It’s also great in a burrito bowl over rice with any of your favorite toppings!
How long does salsa chicken stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the fridge, this chicken will stay fresh for up to 3 days. It reheats very well in the microwave, but even better in a saucepan over medium heat. Make sure to save all of that delicious salsa sauce so the chicken stays moist when reheated.
What kind of salsa should I use?
Any red salsa will do the trick! That’s something I love about this recipe – it’s pretty customizable. If I’m serving this salsa chicken with kids at the table, I use a milder salsa that won’t be too spicy for them.
However, if it’s just adults, I like to amp up the spice level by opting for a spicier salsa.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- To add more spice to this chicken, toss in come cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. Also, consider serving it with chopped jalapeños and hot sauce!
- Trim the fat off of the chicken before cooking it if there is any. That way, it’s a healthier dish and has better texture.
- The easiest way to shred the chicken is with two forks. Personally, I like to shred the chicken right in the pot, but some find it easier to shred the chicken out of the pot, then stir it back in.
This quick and easy Instant Pot salsa chicken recipe is flavorful, tender, and the best way to spice up your weeknight routine!
More Instant Pot chicken recipes we love
- Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Instant Pot Chicken Stock
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces salsa whatever spice level you like
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or water
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot.
- Pour the salsa and chicken broth over the chicken.
- Cook the chicken on the Manual setting for 15 minutes.
- Let the steam release naturally for 5 minutes. Then, release the remaining steam using the quick release button.
- Shred the chicken in the pot, or on a cutting board.
- Stir the shredded chicken into the salsa mixture until it’s nice and saucy.
- Serve with tortillas or make burrito bowls with your favorite taco fixings.
Leave a Review