Make your own version of Chinese takeout with this homemade Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice recipe. Easy and flavorful, it’s delicious as a meal by itself or as a side with chicken, beef, or vegetables.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice
Skip takeout tonight and make chicken fried rice at home! With tons of flavor, veggies, and protein, this fried rice recipe is always a hit.
I love how customizable this recipe it – adjust the spices and flavors to your preference to make your favorite version of fried rice in the comfort of your own home!
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Fried Rice Recipe:
- SIMPLE: Ready in less than 45 minutes, homemade fried rice comes together quickly with simple ingredients.
- FLAVORFUL: Featuring soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic, this recipe is full of flavor.
- VERSATILE: Serve fried rice as an appetizer, side, or a meal on it’s own.
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make chicken fried rice at home!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook and fluff the rice. Set aside.
- Sauté and season the chicken.
- Add the garlic, peas, and carrots.
- Push the chicken and veggies to the side, add the eggs, and scramble.
- Fold in the rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and green onions.
- Serve with sesame seeds.
For classic fried rice, use white rice. Be sure to rinse the rice well before adding it to the Instant Pot.
I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces. Try to make sure the pieces are about the same size so the chicken cooks evenly.
Yes! Instead of frozen vegetables, use ½ cup of fresh peas and ½ cup of finely chopped carrots. Adjust the cook time as needed – the carrots may take an extra 1-2 minutes to soften.
While delicious on it’s own, serve Instant Pot chicken fried rice with:
Each bite is loaded with Asian-inspired flavors for a truly delicious and comforting recipe your whole family will love.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Try using boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for a dark meat option.
- To make vegetarian fried rice, simply leave out the chicken.
- For an extra pop of flavor, garnish with chopped scallions!
Homemade chicken fried rice is a healthier alternative to takeout that you can feel great about serving!
Can I make fried rice with cauliflower rice?
To make fried rice with cauliflower rice, skip steps 1-3 and begin the recipe with step 4. Add the cauliflower rice to the Instant Pot with the peas and carrots in step 6. Cook until the cauliflower rice is tender and continue with the recipe as written.
What other vegetables can I add?
Use your favorites! Add corn, diced broccoli or bell peppers, or sliced jalapeños in step 6.
Fresh and flavorful, you’ll love every bite of Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots mixture
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Rinse the rice 2-3 times in a colander until the water runs clear. Place the rice, water, and salt in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Secure and seal the lid.2 cups white rice, 2 cups water, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook on Manual High Pressure for 4 minutes, allowing a 10-minute natural release. After 10 minutes, open the vent and allow the remaining steam to escape.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, then transfer it to a bowl. Rinse the inner pot to remove any stuck-on rice, then dry it with a paper towel and return to the Instant Pot.
- Press Sauté on the Instant Pot and add the vegetable oil. When the oil gets hot, add the chicken and onion. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 6-10 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked.3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1 cup chopped onion, Kosher salt and pepper
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the peas and carrots and cook for another 2 minutes.3 cloves garlic, 1 cup frozen peas and carrots mixture
- Push everything to the side of the pot and add the beaten eggs. Gently scramble the eggs with a rubber spatula until softly set, 1-2 minutes, then fold the eggs into the vegetable and chicken mixture until the egg is cooked through.2 large eggs
- Press Cancel. Add the rice, soy sauce, green onions, and sesame oil to the pot and stir well. Season to taste. Serve warm garnished with sesame seeds and enjoy.1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce, 3 green onions, 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, Sesame seeds
Leave a Review