These Easy Chicken Quesadillas are loaded with melted cheese, seasoned chicken and pepper filling. Easy to make, this Mexican comfort at its finest!
Quesadillas can be a life saver when it comes to weeknight meals. Easy to make and super satisfying, you can stuff them with all kinds of delicious fillings, like these easy chicken quesadillas. A family favorite, hands down!
Table of Contents
Why this is so good
- Easy. Less than 20 mins from pantry to table!
- Delicious Chicken. Succulent chicken seasoned with garlic, cumin and paprika.
- An Addictive Salsa. A fresh and tangy tomato salsa.
- Tortillas: 10 inch flour tortillas work great and won’t fall apart.
- Chicken: Breast. Ideally go for organic/free range.
- Spices: Cumin, paprika, garlic, chili pepper.
- Veggies: Onion, tomato, bell peppers (red and green)
- Corn: Canned, rinsed and drained.
- Cheese: I’ve gone for cheddar, it cuts through nicely. Ideally shred your own cheese, as pre shredded doesn’t melt that well.
- Veggies: Tomato and onion
- Salt: To taste
- Cilantro: Fresh is best
How to make these Easy Chicken Quesadillas
In a heated pan, add olive oil, onion and bell peppers and sautee, then set aside. To the same pan add cubed chicken, with the spices and cook for 15 mins.
In a separate pan heat the tortillas on a low heat, on each side. Add the filling, with cheese, to the tortilla and flip half the tortilla over the filling. Cook until the cheese has melted.
For the salsa, chop up the ingredients and mix in a processor
Cut the quesadilla into 3 slices.
Serve with salsa and enjoy
Best cheese for Easy Chicken Quesadillas
These are semi-hard cheeses that melt perfectly and all have great flavor. Asadero and Oaxaca are more Authentic options for Mexican Quesadillas.
- Moneterey jack
- Colby Jack
- Oaxaca cheese
What type of chicken to use
You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, the flavor from the dark meat of the chicken thighs is great, but this recipe uses chicken breast which is delicious and seasoned perfectly.
Just make sure to cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, if the chunks are too big the quesadilla may not hold.
Perfect for a crowd
These are easy to prepare for a group, as well and you can make them and then keep the warm in a 200°F oven until ready to serve. You can use a pizza cutter to third them and then place on a large platter for folks just to help themselves.
Does Tortilla Type Matter?
Don’t use corn tortillas. They work for tacos, not for quesadillas, you need the pliability of flour tortillas to hold the cheese and the filling together. It needs to withstand the flip.
- Don’t overdo the butter. Too much and the tortilla ends up soggy and greasy instead of crispy.
- Don’t overstuff, less is more.
- You also want to use enough cheese because it will hold the whole thing together. Too little, and your filling will fall out
More delicious Mexican recipes
Have you tried these Easy Chicken Quesadillas? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
easy chicken quesadillas
- 2 soft flour tortillas 10 inch
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ tsp chilli pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 to mato chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- ½ green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp corn canned
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 to mato chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- In a non-stick pan, add the olive oil, chopped onion and green and red bell peppers
- Saute for 10 minutes
- Remove from pan and set aside
- In the same pan melt 1 tbsp of the butter on medium heat
- Add the cubed chicken, cumin, paprika, salt and garlic powder. Cook for 15 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked
- In a separate pan heat the tortilla on low heat on each side until tortilla becomes slightly golden
- Add half of the amounts of the shredded cheddar cheese, chicken, bell peppers, onions and corn
- Flip half of the tortilla over the ingredients and let it cook on low heat until cheese has completely melted
- Remove from pan. Cut into three triangles
- Repeat process with the remaining tortilla
- Serve with salsa and enjoy!
- In a food processor add the tomato, onion, vinegar, cilantro and salt
- Pulse for 1 minute
- Serve with warm quesadilla