This authentic easy chicken fried rice recipe is just as good as takeout and super simple to make. Loaded with fresh veggies, this homemade version is healthier, while still being loaded with flavor. It’s also great for meal prep and the leftovers taste delicious!
Best Chicken Fried Rice
I love a great Chinese take-out recipe, and Chicken Fried Rice is always a must! This homemade version still has all of the flavors you would expect from an ordered in (or out!) dish, but is a lot healthier.
Chicken Fried Rice is so easy to make at home, so ditch the takeout this week and give this homemade version a try – you’ll love it!
Download My Top 10 Chicken eBook
Subscribe and receive a free e-cookbook of our Top 10 Easy Chicken Recipes!download now
How to make Easy Chicken Fried Rice – step by step
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Cook the rice in a nonstick skillet.
- In the same skillet, cook the chicken.
- Cook the veggies until tender.
- Stir everything together to create the BEST Easy Chicken Fried Rice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
Looking for the perfect pairing for this Easy Chicken Fried Rice recipe? We have some ideas! Check out these favorites:
Top Reader Review
- “I really loved this recipe because I have made several attempts on getting that take out flavor! Finally did absolutely easy. The recipes here are easy and I appreciate them because this mama and wife is getting bored with dinner! Easy chicken recipes is reviving my dinner choices.” – Kendre Wilson
What Ingredients are in Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken Fried Rice is made with a handful of ingredients, including fresh and frozen vegetables, a good quality chicken breast and a couple of eggs. The aromatics that give the fried rice dish it’s authentic Chinese flavor are:
- soy sauce (low sodium)
- toasted sesame oil
- mirin (a tangy rice wine, low in alcohol)
Make it healthy(er)
Although the restaurant version of this dish is delicious, it’s also calorie loaded, and I won’t even mention how high the sodium is! With a few simple swaps you can make a healthier homemade version of your favorite takeout rice dish.
Be sure to use a low sodium soy sauce, and you just need a little canola of vegetable oil – don’t over do it!
If you wanted to make it even healthier, you could also use a whole grain rice instead of white.Us
Easy Chicken Fried Rice with vegetables
This recipe is really versatile, and you can easily add in different veg that you may have to hand – sweetcorn, broccoli or red peppers would be a wonderful addition. Frozen vegetables work really well, but you can also use fresh – mix and match!
The Perfect Rice Every Time
Make sure your oil is smoking hot before adding the rice. This will help the rice not to stick!
More Top Tips
- Don’t over cook the final dish – you want a little bit to your vegetables.
- Use free range / organic eggs and chicken.
- If you have any leftovers, just keep them covered in your fridge – they can be eaten hot or cold!
If you have tried this easy chicken fried rice, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Easy Chicken Recipes: Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked white rice Jasmine or Basmati
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil divided
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled & diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 medium cloves garlic minced
- 3 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- Cook the rice according to package directions – after cooking, pour it on a plate and set aside to cool completely. Once the rice has cooled completely, break it up with your hands into individual grains.
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet (or wok), over high heat, until smoking. Add the rice, cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until the rice just begins to turn a little darker. Transfer the rice to a small bowl and set aside.
- Turn heat to medium, heat 1-tablespoon of oil and place the chicken breast in the skillet. Cook 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, cut into very thin slices and then cut the slices into thirds.
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in the skillet and add the diced onion, carrot, scallions and garlic. Cook, stirring continuously, 2-3 minutes or until carrots are just lightly tender and onions are translucent.
- Add the rice and peas and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked chicken, soy sauce, sesame oil and mirin, stir and cook another 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Push the chicken rice mixture to the sides of the skillet and add 1-teaspoon oil to the middle of the skillet.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and season with salt & pepper. Scramble the eggs and stir to combine with the chicken/rice mixture.
- Cook, stirring continuously, 3-4 minutes, to give time for the flavors to meld.
- Serve immediately and…