These crack chicken tacos bring you straight to taco heaven with every bite! They’re creamy, cheesy, bacony, and full of delicious ranch flavor. After one bite, they’ll be your new favorite way to make tacos!
What’s in Chicken Bacon Ranch Tacos?
This crack chicken taco recipe combines cream cheese, sour cream, ranch seasoning, and Colby jack cheese to create a delicious chicken filling that can only be better when topped with bacon — and yes, you bet it has bacon!
- Taco Shells: These taco shells are baked for 5 minutes to get nice and crispy.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is what makes this taco filling super rich and creamy. Don’t skip it!
- Sour Cream: The combination of cream cheese and sour cream make for the ultimate decadent taco filling.
- Ranch Seasoning: Everyone loves ranch! This ingredient will add a tangy, zesty touch that makes all the difference.
- Cheese: Is it legal not to have cheese on a taco? Well, we use Colby jack cheese to make these tacos even better.
- Chicken: It’s super easy to prepare the chicken for this recipe. Just cook your preferred chicken and shred it up!
- Bacon: We recommend cooking bacon from fresh to get the best flavor, but bacon bits work well enough.
Make It Spicy
If you’d like to spice up this crack chicken recipe, feel free to add taco seasoning in place of (or in addition to) ranch seasoning. You could also add green chiles or crushed red peppers to add some heat!
Contrary to popular belief, “crack” actually refers to the flavor combination of cheese, ranch seasoning, and bacon in a dish, not the addictive quality of the dish– although these tacos are certainly addictive!
I like to use rotisserie chicken because it saves so much time and effort, but you could also use shredded chicken breasts or thighs.
The best taco shells for this recipe are hard/crunchy taco shells. These are usually made from corn tortillas. Crunchy taco shells will keep their shape in the oven!
Although you could make this dish in a crockpot, I don’t recommend it because you will still need to bake the taco shells to get them crispy and then bake the whole dish again to get the cheese melty. It’s easier to just microwave the cream cheese mixture!
How to Store and Reheat Cheesy Chicken Tacos
Store leftover crack chicken tacos tightly covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes, or until warmed through.
How to Freeze Creamy Cheesy Chicken Tacos
Freeze crack chicken tacos tightly wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil for up to 1 month. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to Serve with Cheesy Ranch Tacos
Whether it’s taco Tuesday or just your average weeknight dinner, there are plenty of tasty fixings that will go excellently with your crack chicken tacos. We especially enjoy this Bacon Spinach Dip, chips and Guacamole, Confetti Corn Salad, and if you want something sweet, these Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars!
Crack Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 12 crunchy taco shells such as Old El Paso
- ½ cup cream cheese room temperature (½ brick)
- ¼ cup sour cream room temperature
- 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning store-bought or homemade (1 packet)
- 1½ cups freshly shredded Colby jack cheese divided
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ pound cooked bacon chopped and divided (see note)
- Green onions optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the taco shells in a 9×13-inch baking pan standing straight up.12 crunchy taco shells
- Bake the taco shells for 5 minutes to crisp them up. Remove from the oven and set aside for now.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, ranch seasoning, and ½ cup cheese.½ cup cream cheese, ¼ cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning, 1½ cups freshly shredded Colby jack cheese
- Microwave the cream cheese mixture for 30-45 seconds, then mix until it’s well combined.
- Fold in the chicken and all but a bit of the bacon.3 cups shredded cooked chicken, ½ pound cooked bacon
- Fill each shell with the chicken mixture, almost to the top of each shell. Sprinkle each taco with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and the edges of the shells are browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve garnished with more bacon and green onions.Green onions
- Bacon: Use this bacon crumble recipe to make bacon crumbles from frozen bacon strips.
- I used Colby jack cheese, but you can use any combination of cheeses you like!
- You can substitute an equal amount of mayonnaise in place of the sour cream, or use an equivalent amount of ranch dressing and omit the ranch seasoning.
Leave a Review