Chicken Fried Chicken with Gravy is a down home comfort dinner that the whole family will gobble up! This chicken recipe is fried, but not greasy, and the homemade gravy is thick and creamy.
Easy Chicken Fried Chicken with Gravy Recipe
Who said that making chicken fried chicken has to be a long process? This dinner comes together in just over half an hour! The best part is, this easy fried chicken recipe could never be described as greasy. With a few simple ingredients and easy steps, I always have the BEST flavorful, never greasy chicken fried chicken!
This is one of those recipes I love whipping up when I know everyone at the table needs something filling and comforting. It’s a real down home recipe that sits well with not just your stomach, but your soul, too. Pair this chicken fried chicken and gravy with a glass of ice cold Homemade Sweet Tea for a real Southern treat.
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Fried Chicken Recipe:
- A Southern treat: Even if you’re not from the South, there’s no denying that Southern cuisine is downright delicious! This chicken fried chicken is no exception.
- Easy: If you’ve never fried chicken before, this is a great starter recipe. It’s super easy and hard to mess up!
- Homemade: There’s something to be said for the pleasures of homemade gravy. It’s SO much thicker, creamier, and flavorful than the packets at the store.
How to make Chicken Fried Chicken with Homemade Gravy
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
Here’s how to fry up the chicken –
- Slice the breasts horizontally.
- Pound the chicken into thin pieces.
- Whisk together milk and egg.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, and spices.
- Dredge the chicken in the wet and dry mixtures.
- Allow the chicken to rest while you make the gravy.
- Fry the chicken in batches. Fry for 6-8 minutes before flipping, until each piece is fully cooked and golden brown.
- Place the fried chicken on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess grease.
Making the homemade gravy is so easy! Here’s how –
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Once golden, whisk in the milk, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat once thickened.
- Serve with the hot chicken, and enjoy!
Why is my fried chicken soggy?
A big reason that chicken ends up soggy, not crispy, is because the pan was over crowded. It’s important to work in batches for this reason.
If too many pieces of chicken are in the pan at a time, the temperature of the oil decreases, throwing everything out of balance. When the temperature lowers, the chicken will absorb the oil, making it soggy and greasy.
Moral of the story – work in small batches!
How long will chicken fried chicken with gravy stay fresh?
In separate airtight containers in the refrigerator, the chicken and gravy will both stay fresh for about 2-3 days. While the gravy reheats fine in the microwave, you’ll want to reheat the chicken in a warm oven until it’s heated through. That way, it stays deliciously crispy.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Make sure the oil is around 350°F before frying the chicken. If it’s too hot, the outside will burn and the chicken will still be raw in the middle. Use an oil thermometer, not a meat thermometer to check.
- Speaking of thermometers, use a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is fully cooked at 165°F.
- Be careful with the amount fo salt and pepper you toss in. Too much salt will quickly ruin the recipe.
Treat yourself to the comfort food you deserve with this easy chicken fried chicken and gravy!
More fried chicken recipes we love
- Fried Chicken Sandwiches
- Fried Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Fried Chicken
- Fried Coconut Chicken Tenders
- Homemade Fried Chicken Nuggets
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Fried Chicken with Gravy Recipe
For the Chicken Fried Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Gravy
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
For the Chicken Fried Chicken
- Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally, creating four thin portions. If necessary, place between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to ½-inch thickness.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together milk and egg. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, and spices.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in milk then in the flour mixture. Place on a wire rack and repeat until all chicken is coated. Allow to rest and make the gravy.
- When ready to cook, heat 1-inch of cooking oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Fry the chicken in batches (if necessary) for 6-8 minutes, flipping as needed, until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain while cooling.
For the Gravy
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Whisk in milk and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from the heat. Taste and season as necessary, then serve with hot chicken.