This creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole is everything you love about the infamous spinach artichoke dip but made into an easy chicken casserole recipe! The shredded chicken, artichoke hearts, and creamy cheese sauce are combined and baked to utter perfection.
What’s in Chicken Spinach Artichoke Casserole?
The highlight of this cheesy chicken casserole is the delicious sauce the chicken and the artichokes are baked in. It’s made up of cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper to create a creamy, cheesy masterpiece.
- Chicken: Be sure to shred and cook your chicken prior to starting this recipe! A rotisserie chicken would make this step easy.
- Artichoke Hearts: We used canned artichoke hearts for this recipe to make things simple.
- Cream Cheese: Allow your cream cheese to warm to room temperature for easy mixing.
- Mayonnaise: You can use either store-bought or homemade mayonnaise. Up to you!
- Sour Cream: We used sour cream for this recipe, but feel free to use greek yogurt instead.
- Mustard: Dijon mustard adds a pungent flavor that really brings this casserole dish to life.
- Garlic: You can’t go wrong with garlic! Don’t skip it.
- Onion Powder: A dash of onion powder elevates the flavor of this dish.
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper are always great for bringing out all the flavors.
- Cheese: A combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese go perfectly with the artichokes, sauce, and chicken!
- Spinach: You can’t have spinach artichoke anything without spinach! We recommend using fresh for best results.
Pro Tip: Make this dish healthier by substituting in Greek yogurt for the sour cream!
Variations on Chicken Artichoke Spinach Casserole
There are quite a few ways to dress up this casserole. You can make it spicy by adding a diced jalapeño pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper or make it briny by adding diced olives or capers. For a punchier dish, swap some or all of the cheese for feta!
This casserole is great because it uses shredded cooked chicken. You could easily buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and use that, or use up whatever leftover shredded or diced cooked chicken you have in the freezer. You could also make your own shredded chicken in the crockpot!
I used plain canned artichokes that were not marinated. If you like the flavor of marinated artichokes, you can also use those.
While you can use frozen spinach, you’ll want to thaw it completely and squeeze out any excess moisture before using it in this casserole.
It’s important to use fresh spinach in this casserole and to wash and dry it completely. Wet or thawed spinach can add too much moisture, leading to a soggy casserole. Also make sure to fully drain the artichoke hearts to remove any excess moisture.
How to Store and Reheat Spinach Chicken Artichoke Casserole
Store leftover spinach artichoke chicken casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes, until warmed through.
How to Freeze Chicken Spinach and Artichoke Casserole
Freeze spinach artichoke chicken casserole tightly wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to Serve with Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Casserole
While casserole dishes can easily be their own main course, you can also pair them with a variety of different sides. We love to serve ours over a bed of Instant Pot Basmati Rice or sided with Oven Roasted Melting Potatoes, Crispy Garlic Roasted Asparagus, or Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli.
Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 3½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts drained and chopped (1 can)
- 1 cup cream cheese room temperature (1 brick)
- ½ cup mayonnaise store-bought or homemade
- ½ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 4 ounces fresh spinach (about 3 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the shredded chicken in an even layer inside the casserole dish, then distribute the artichoke hearts on top.3½ cups shredded cooked chicken, 14 ounces artichoke hearts
- In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to mix the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Fold in 1 cup of mozzarella, ½ cup of Parmesan, and spinach, stirring until combined.1 cup cream cheese, ½ cup mayonnaise, ½ cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, 4 ounces fresh spinach
- Pour and spread the mixture evenly on top of the chicken breast. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheeses.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the casserole is warmed through and the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Broil the top for 2-3 minutes for a nice browned top.
- Serve hot over rice, cauliflower rice, or pasta, if desired, or enjoy alone.
- Be sure to fully drain the artichokes to avoid a watery casserole.
- If using frozen spinach, let it thaw completely and drain off the excess liquid.