Quinoa Fried Rice is a healthy version of the take-out favorite and an easy one pan dish that’s perfect for those busy weeknights. This Quinoa Fried Rice Recipe is chocked full of veggies and chicken; making it a wholesome, filling meal the whole family will love!
Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice
Do you ever want to eat Chicken Fried Rice, but also want to keep things healthy? This Quinoa Fried Rice Recipe is just the thing!
On busy weeknights, take-out may seem like the easy answer, but this Chicken Quinoa Fried Rice will change your mind! In just 30 minutes, you can put a delicious meal on the table that tastes just like your favorite take-out fried rice!
To make this dish extra wholesome, we’re using the nutrient-packed grain, quinoa, instead of rice. This Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice is also loaded with plenty of hearty and colorful veggies, including carrots, peas, red bell pepper, and onion. And with just a bit of sesame oil for sautéing, this Chicken Quinoa Fried Rice is a healthier alternative to traditional fried rice.
How to Make Quinoa Fried Rice with Chicken
To begin, you’ll need cooked quinoa. I like to make a big batch at the beginning of the week so I have it on hand to add to meals during the week. Alternatively, you can find quinoa pouches at the grocery store these days that you can pop in the microwave for a quick and easy option. So easy.
Along with the cooked quinoa, you’ll need to prep the veggies, which includes chopping the carrots, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. I like to separate them into bowls so I can easily toss them into the pan when the time comes. Feel free to toss in other veggies that your family loves!
What kind of Chicken is best for Fried Rice
For the chicken, I started with uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts and chopped them into tiny pieces. From there, I seasoned with salt and pepper and sautéed them in sesame oil. To save the step of cooking the chicken, you can always use leftover cooked chicken or even store-bought rotisserie chicken.
How to make Chicken Fried Rice with Quinoa
When the chicken is cooked through, you’ll transfer it to another plate and work on the veggies. Once the veggies have softened, it’s time to bring everything together by adding in the chicken and quinoa. If you like scrambled egg in your fried rice, make a little crater in the quinoa fried rice and crack the eggs in the hole.
Scramble the eggs right in the middle, and once cooked, give everything a big stir. Then, add in the soy sauce for a final punch of flavor! At this point, it’s important to give the dish a taste and add more salt and pepper or soy sauce if needed. SO MUCH FLAVOR!
Toppings for the Chicken Quinoa Fried Rice
Toppings for the Chicken Quinoa Fried Rice are completely optional, but if you’re going to make it a meal, it’s always fun to add some finishing touches. Chopped green onion is a nice option because it brings out the savory flavor of the dish. And if you enjoy a bit of spiciness, go ahead and drizzle on some sriracha!
Other fun toppings to add? Chopped bacon, chopped nuts, avocado, or a fried drippy egg. Any way you top it, this Chicken Quinoa Fried Rice recipe is a quick, easy, and a yummy, healthier alternative to the take-out version!
Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil divided
- 1 pound uncooked chicken breasts chopped into small pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Chopped green onion optional
- Sriracha optional
- Cook the chicken: Add 1 teaspoons of sesame oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add in the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken for 7-8 minutes until the pieces are cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Cook the veggies: Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the same skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add in the garlic, carrots, peas, and bell pepper. Season well with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and chicken.
- Scramble the eggs: Make a large well in the middle of the skillet. Add a bit of oil or cooking spray to the exposed portion of the pan. Crack the eggs in the well, and scramble the eggs. It’s okay if the eggs mix into the quinoa and veggies when scrambling.
- Add the finishing touches: Pour in the soy sauce. Stir everything until combined. Season with salt and pepper or add more soy sauce to taste. Top with chopped green onion and a drizzle of sriracha