Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice is a healthy version of the take-out favorite and an easy one pan dish that’s perfect for those busy weeknights. It’s chocked full of veggies and chicken, making it a wholesome, filling meal the whole family will love!
- Why we love this Quinoa and Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- What kind of chicken is best for fried rice (or quinoa)?
- How to Store and Reheat
- How to Freeze
- Serving Suggestions
- More Healthy Chicken Recipes We Love
- Top Reader Review
- Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- How to make Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice Step by Step
Why we love this Quinoa and Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Do you ever want to eat chicken fried rice, but also want to keep things healthy? This quinoa version checks all the right boxes:
- Healthy: To make this dish extra wholesome, we’re using the nutrient-packed grain, quinoa, instead of rice. It’s also loaded with plenty of hearty and colorful veggies. With just a bit of sesame oil for sautéing, this recipe is a healthier alternative to traditional fried rice.
- Quick: This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes! It’s a super quick and easy recipe that’s wonderful for crazy weeknights.
- Satisfying: While it may be on the healthier side, have no fear. We never sacrifice flavor for health! Soy sauce, sesame oil and more lend plenty of flavor to this filling chicken dinner.
What kind of chicken is best for fried rice (or quinoa)?
For the chicken, I started with uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts and chopped them into tiny pieces. From there, I seasoned with salt and pepper and sautéed them in sesame oil. To save the step of cooking the chicken, you can always use leftover cooked chicken or even store-bought rotisserie chicken.
How to Store and Reheat
You can store any leftover quinoa fried rice you may have in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. To reheat, pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir every time it stops until heated all the way through.
How to Freeze
Let the meal fully cool to room temperature prior to storing in a freezer safe container. It’ll keep for up to 3 months. Don’t forget to date and label! Also, I recommend letting it slowly thaw in the fridge prior to reheating.
This chicken fried quinoa is a meal all by itself! It’s well rounded with carbs, protein and veggies. If you’d like to compliment it with a Chinese take-out inspired side, some of my favorites include egg rolls and crab rangoon.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes We Love
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Squash
Top Reader Review
“This was a delicious recipe! I would have never thought to use quinoa in this way. I love Asian food so this was a nice, healthier twist. Thanks for the recipe!” – Debbie
Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil divided
- 1 pound uncooked chicken breasts chopped into small pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- green onion chopped, optional
- Sriracha optional
- Cook the chicken: Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add in the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken for 7-8 minutes, or until the pieces are cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate.2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1 pound uncooked chicken breasts, salt and pepper
- Cook the veggies: Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the same skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add in the garlic, carrots, peas, and bell pepper. Season well with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and chicken.2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/2 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 medium carrots, 1 cup peas, 1/2 bell pepper, salt and pepper, 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- Scramble the eggs: Make a large well in the middle of the skillet. Add a bit of oil or cooking spray to the exposed portion of the pan. Crack the eggs in the well, and scramble the eggs. It’s okay if the eggs mix into the quinoa and veggies when scrambling.3 eggs
- Add the finishing touches: Pour in the soy sauce. Stir everything until combined. Season with salt and pepper or add more soy sauce to taste. Top with chopped green onion and a drizzle of sriracha1/4 cup soy sauce, green onion, Sriracha
How to make Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice Step by Step
Cook the chicken: Add 1 tsp sesame oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add 1bl chopped chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Set the cooked chicken aside on a plate.
Cook the veggies: Add 1 tsp sesame oil to the same skillet over medium heat. Sauté 1/2 chopped onion until softened. Then, add in 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 medium chopped carrots, 1 cup peas and 1/2 chopped bell pepper.
Scramble the eggs: Create a large well in the middle of the skillet. Add 3 eggs to the middle and scramble them.
Finish it off: Pour in 1/4 cup soy sauce. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with green onions if desired!