This super Creamy Chicken Soup recipe is the perfect comfort food in a bowl! Loaded with mushrooms, peas carrots and topped with garlic croutons, this is one hearty and delicious soup!
Forget those gloppy cans of cream of chicken soup, this Creamy Chicken Soup recipe is smooth, flavorful, bursting with goodness and easy so easy to make!
Table of Contents
How To Make This Creamy Chicken Soup – Step By Step
Peel and chop your veggies into bite size pieces. Then, in a large pot heat extra virgin olive oil. Add carrots, sweet potato and onions. Sauté for 10 minutes. Then add your water and chicken leg quarters. Bring it all to a boil, then simmer for 1 1/2 hours
Remove boiled chicken from pot. Remove bones and shred, then throw chicken back in pot
In a separate saucepan prepare the roux. Melt butter on medium heat and add flour. Whisk until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat while whisking. Add heavy cream and continue whisking until well combined. Set aside
Add mushrooms and peas in pot and boil for another 10 minutes. Then, add roux and stir parmesan. Cook for another 10 mins.
Serve while still warm and garnish with garlic croutons.
Creamy Chicken Soup – So Comforting!
One bowl of this Creamy Chicken Soup will leave you satisfied for hours without feeling overly heavy. This is the meal that goes a long way especially if you have a smaller family, there will be plenty of leftover soup to enjoy during the week. You could serve in homemade bread bowls or alongside a batch of deliciously soft dinner rolls.
Can You Freeze This Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe?
This Creamy Chicken Soup can be continuously refrigerated for about 3 to 4 days. To further extend the shelf life of the soup you can freeze it. To freeze the soup, place inside covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
Creamed soups sometimes separate when you defrost and reheat them due to the cream base, it can be remedied with careful blending.
What’s The Best Chicken For Soup?
I used chicken leg quarters, because you get the succulent drumstick and the thigh.
Not only do thighs stay tender and delicious when simmered, but their natural richness makes the soup more substantial.
Top Tips For This Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
- Chicken leg quarters are great for this soup, keeping the chicken tender.
- Prep all of your ingredients before you fire up your stove chop onions, grate and slice carrots etc.
- Garnish with croutons and serve with crusty bread. This soup would also work great in a bread bowl.
- This recipe will freeze but the dairy may separate, so you will need to blend again.
Check Out These Other Delicious Soups!
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Soup
- Healthy Chicken Soup With Kale
- Chicken Coconut Soup Recipe
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
Have you tried this Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 1 cup 7-8 ounces sweet potato, diced
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup parmesan shredded
- 1 cup garlic croutons
- Peel carrots and chop into bite size pieces
- Chop mushrooms and onion
- In a large pot heat extra virgin olive oil on medium heat
- Add carrots, sweet potato and onions. Sauté for 10 minutes
- Add 10 cups water and chicken leg quarters
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 1 1/2 hours
- Remove boiled chicken from pot. Remove bones and shred, then throw chicken back in pot
- In a separate saucepan prepare the roux. Melt butter on medium heat and add flour. Whisk until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat while whisking. Add heavy cream and continue whisking until well combined. Set aside
- Add mushrooms and peas in pot and boil for another 10 minutes
- Add roux and stir
- Add parmesan and cook for another 10 minutes
- Serve while still warm and garnish with garlic croutons