If you enjoy the taste of creamy, juicy chicken loaded with cheese and lots of flavor, be sure to give this Chicken Lombard recipe a try. It’s easy, full of flavor, and made with fine, fresh ingredients that take this dish to the next level.
- Chicken Lombardy Recipe
- Why You’ll Love this Cheesy Chicken:
- How to Make Chicken Lombardy
- Ingredient Notes
- Serving Ideas
- Recipe Tips and Notes
- What other kind of chicken can I use?
- Do I have to use marsala wine?
- Italian Chicken Recipes We Love
- More Chicken Dinner Recipes!
- Chicken Lombardy Recipe
Chicken Lombardy Recipe
Use a blend of cheeses, such as mozzarella and parmesan, to coat this incredible chicken dish. It’s a cheesy meal made with skinless chicken breast, sliced mushrooms, and several other essential ingredients that pair perfectly together to create a meal that will melt in your mouth and leave you feeling satisfied.
If you’re looking for a new way to prepare chicken, this is the perfect recipe.
Why You’ll Love this Cheesy Chicken:
RESTAURANT QUALITY: When you’ve prepared this meal, expect it to taste like you’re sitting at a five-star restaurant enjoying the most flavorful chicken.
SUPER EASY: You don’t need to have any special culinary skills to prepare such a wholesome and delicious meal.
PERFECT FOR ALL: Even if you have picky eaters at home, you can expect them to enjoy this flavorful, cheesy meal.
Chicken Lombardy is such an easy and impressive meal. It’s full of flavor and doesn’t take long to prepare, making it the perfect entree to serve for dinner with the family.
How to Make Chicken Lombardy
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Set your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice your chicken breast lengthwise in half, seasoning both sides with salt and pepper.
- Put your flour on a plate, dredge each piece in it, and then begin melting three tablespoons of butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Cook your chicken three pieces at a time for three minutes per side.
- Remove your chicken, set aside, and repeat the process with any additional chicken pieces.
- Melt the rest of the butter in your pan, add mushrooms, and cook them for five minutes.
- Add your chicken broth and wine to the skillet, cooking for around five minutes.
- Layer your chicken breasts in a large dish, pour your mushroom mixture on top, and then sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Place in the oven, baking for up to 20 minutes before serving.
- Cremini mushrooms are great to use in this recipe. However, if you have other mushrooms at home, you can use what you already have.
- Some people like to toss a few fresh spinach leaves in the skillet with the mushrooms. It’s optional!
- If you don’t have chicken breast, you can use chicken thighs, but make sure they’re boneless and skinless.
- If you don’t have chicken broth, you can use chicken bouillon with water to create a broth for this recipe.
Chicken Lombardy is similar to chicken marsala, but topped with cheese and baked to golden brown, bubbly perfection.
I love to make chicken Lombardy with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Slice each in half lengthwise for super thin cutlets.
If using frozen chicken, let it thaw in the refrigerator before using in the recipe.
Chicken Lombardy tastes amazing when served over pasta. You can use any pasta you prefer, such as spaghetti or angel hair pasta.
If you don’t like pasta or don’t want it, this chicken will go great with creamy homemade mashed potatoes.
Don’t forget the garlic bread! It’s the perfect side dish to serve alongside this creamy, flavorful chicken.
Chicken Lombardy is a restaurant-style meal that you can make at home. It’s full of flavor and great to serve with some of your favorite sides.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Make sure you’re not overcooking the chicken breast when frying them in the skillet with the butter. Three minutes per side is enough time because you’ll be placing them in the oven later.
- It’s best to use unsalted butter in this recipe to avoid making the dish taste too salty. If you don’t have butter, you can use margarine.
- Slice your mushrooms into thin pieces or purchase them sliced in advance to save yourself some time.
- Make sure that you’re not putting too many pieces of chicken in the skillet at one time because then the pieces won’t cook correctly.
What other kind of chicken can I use?
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are a great substitute for the chicken breasts. Slice them in half lengthwise just as you would the breasts, and continue with the recipe as written.
Do I have to use marsala wine?
Marsala wine gives chicken Lombardy that classic flavor! Instead of marsala, try using an equal amount of madeira or dry sherry.
Italian Chicken Recipes We Love
Chicken Lombardy is similar to Chicken Marsala but even better. If you’re looking for a great meal to make for the family, this recipe is perfect.
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Lombardy Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup marsala wine
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Season both sides of each chicken breast half with salt and pepper.4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the flour to a shallow bowl or plate. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour to coat completely.½ cup all-purpose flour
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook 3-4 pieces of chicken at a time for 3 minutes per side or until cooked through.5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside. Repeat the process with the remaining pieces of chicken.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms start to reduce.8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- Pour in the chicken broth and wine. Let the liquid cook down for about 5 minutes.1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, ⅓ cup marsala wine
- Layer the cooked chicken breasts into a large casserole dish or baking pan. Pour the mushroom mixture on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the cheeses on top.1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese turns golden brown on top. Serve and enjoy.