This Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup is the perfect spicy and colorful comfort food that will definitely become one of your favorites! Spicy Chicken Soup is everything you want and more, from a delicious Mexican delight. Easy to make, hearty and healthy, this soup packs a flavor punch!
This easy Mexican chicken soup is great for every season. It’s refreshing ingredients however, make it perfect and enjoyable for those spring and summer months. Cook up a big batch and enjoy!
Customize the toppings
Mexican Chicken Soup means one thing, and one thing only. Crazy toppings! I love adding extra cilantro, lime juice and sour cream as a garnish. It not only elevates the flavors of the dish, but it makes it look extra pretty and appetizing as well.
Perfect for when you have guests over and want to impress. It goes without saying that if you like spicy foods add some chopped jalapeños on top and add some avocado slices and even some tortillas!
What’s in Mexican Chicken Soup?
The soup is packed with nutritious and healthy ingredients and the lime and sour cream give the spicy Mexican chicken soup the perfect amount of freshness.
Packed full of Mexican spices like cumin, paprika and chili powder, every mouthful is a taste explosion!
Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe (Spicy)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 cups water
- 1 pound bone-in chicken pieces legs, thighs, breasts
- 1 carrot sliced
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup dry brown rice
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 6 tablespoons lime juice (from 3 limes)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream optional, for topping
- Cheddar cheese optional, for topping
- Heat the olive oil over medium in a large pot.4 tablespoons olive oil
- Add onion, garlic, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and dried oregano.1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground chilli powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- Saute for 7 minutes or until golden brown on medium heat.
- Add 10 cups of water, chicken, sliced carrot, diced tomato, enchilada sauce, salt and pepper.10 cups water, 1 pound bone-in chicken pieces, 1 carrot, 15 ounces diced tomatoes, 10 ounces red enchilada sauce, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring to boil, then simmer on medium heat for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from soup and shred chicken. Throw chicken back in the soup.
- Add brown rice and boil for 35-40 minutes.⅓ cup dry brown rice
- Remove from heat, add sliced jalapenos, avocado, and lime juice.1 jalapeno pepper, 1 avocado, 6 tablespoons lime juice
- Serve, garnish with sour cream, cilantro and cheddar cheese!¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, Sour cream, Cheddar cheese