This spicy Mexican chicken soup is the perfect cozy and colorful comfort food that will definitely become one of your favorites! It’s everything you want and more, from a delicious Mexican delight. Easy to make, hearty and healthy, this soup packs a flavor punch!
This easy Mexican chicken soup is great for every season. It’s refreshing ingredients however, make it perfect and enjoyable for those spring and summer months. Cook up a big batch and enjoy!
How to make Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup
This spicy Mexican chicken soup is really easy to make.
You start off your soup by simply sautéing the finely chopped onion and garlic with all the spices. You then pop in the chicken, tomato and enchilada sauces. You let them boil and simmer, then add in the rice, let it cook some more, garnish and DONE! That’s it! Easy peasy!
How to serve your Mexican Chicken soup – it’s all about the toppings!
Mexican soup means one thing, and one thing only. Crazy toppings! I love adding extra cilantro, lime juice and sour cream as a garnish. It not only elevates the flavours of the dish, but it makes it look extra pretty and appetizing as well. Perfect for when you have guests over and want to impress. It goes without saying that if you like spicy foods add some chopped jalapeños on top and add some avocado slices and even some tortillas!
Add in some carbs for a well balanced meal
You can use brown rice or white rice for this spicy Mexican chicken soup. There is something extra hearty and cozy in adding brown rice in any soup. The soup instantly becomes super filling and with a ton of texture.
In this recipe you will see that the rice is added raw in the soup and is cooked for about 35-40 minutes. This is a great option, if you are going to be eating the soup right away. If not, in order to avoid the liquid of the soup being absorbed by the rice, you can cook the rice separately and add it in when serving your soup.
A delicious spicy soup
The amount of spiciness will depend on your personal preference. By following the amounts noted in the list of ingredients you will make a mild to hot soup. If you are not too much into spicy foods add less jalapeños and chili powder! Keep in mind that this soup is perfect with a spoonful of sour cream, which will definitely reduce the heat a little.
What’s in Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup?
The soup is packed with nutritious and healthy ingredients and the lime and sour cream give the spicy Mexican chicken soup the perfect amount of freshness. Packed full of Mexican spices like cumin, paprika and chili powder, every mouthful is a taste explosion!
Easy weeknight dinner
This delicious spicy Mexican chicken soup is perfect for cozy weekend dinners. To really make the most of those flavors, it is a long cook, but I love cooking up a huge batch of this (the recipe is easily doubled!) and it can be frozen and reheated to be enjoyed during those busy weekdays. This is also all made in one pot, so you avoid a huge clean up!
Be sure to check out these other unique Mexican chicken recipes!
- Mexican Chicken Sheet Pan Nachos
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Salad
- Green Chile Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Shredded Chicken Enchiladas
- Favorite Chicken Quesadilla Recipe by Lil’ Luna
Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 pound chicken pieces bone-in legs, thighs, breasts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 10 cups water
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp back ground pepper
- ⅓ cup brown rice
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- Juice of 3 limes
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Sour cream optional
- Cheddar cheese optional
- Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic
- Add olive oil in a large pot.
- Add onion, garlic, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and dried oregano.
- Saute for 7 minutes or until golden brown on medium heat
- Add 10 cups of water, chicken, sliced carrot, diced tomato, enchilada sauce, salt and pepper
- Bring to boil, then simmer on medium heat for 2 hours
- Remove chicken from soup and shred chicken. Throw chicken back in the soup
- Add brown rice and boil for 35-40 minutes
- Remove from heat, add sliced jalapenos, avocado, and lime juice
- Serve, garnish with sour cream, cilantro and cheddar cheese!