Prepare the juiciest and most delicious chicken you’ve ever tasted with this recipe for Chicken Provencal. It consists of fresh chicken thighs prepared in a white wine sauce with olives and fresh garlic.
Easy Chicken Provencal Recipe
If you’d like to make juicy, flavorful chicken with a unique and tasty sauce, this Chicken Provencal is what you need. It’s a simple stove top recipe consisting of fresh ingredients, leaving you with an impressive meal to enjoy with loved ones.
Why You’ll Love this Stovetop Chicken Provencal:
- Delicious sauce: The flavorful sauce made with wine, garlic, and other ingredients leaves the chicken moist and delicious.
- Side dish friendly: You can serve it with some of your favorite sides, such as fresh green beans and roasted potatoes.
- No oven needed: It’s an incredibly easy meal to make. Best of all, you won’t need to use the oven to prepare it.
How to make Chicken Provencal in a Skillet
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Add oil and butter to a deep skillet with plenty of space and set it to medium-high heat.
- Grab your chicken and season it with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the skillet, searing it for up to four minutes per side.
- Remove it, set it off to the side, and add a tent of foil over the chicken while it sits.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, add your onion and garlic to the skillet and stir it here and there.
- Once the onion softens, add the wine, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and simmer for a minute or two.
- Add your diced tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, olive, salt, and pepper into the skillet.
- Stir your ingredients together and let them simmer for five minutes.
- Carefully place your chicken into the skillet, covering it with the mixture.
- Let the chicken cook on low for 15 minutes with the skillet covered.
- Remove from the skillet, toss the rosemary, and thyme, and serve.
What kind of chicken do I need?
You’ll need chicken thighs for this recipe. It’s best to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs but you can easily substitute chicken breasts as well.
What are kalamata olives?
Kalamata olives are bigger, darker olives that have a smooth texture and a unique taste. The flavor goes great with the chicken. They are common in Mediterranean and Italian cooking.
How do I store leftovers?
Put any leftovers in a food storage container with an airtight lid and keep the leftovers refrigerated.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature for your chicken reaches at least 165 degrees F.
- Garnish the Chicken Provencal with fresh lemon wedges before serving if you’d like.
- Make sure to cover the chicken while it cooks for the last 15 minutes. If you don’t have a lid for the skillet, use foil.
Chicken Provencal is a unique and delicious dish worth trying. If you want to enjoy flavorful, juicy meat that goes great when served with potatoes and green beans, this is an excellent recipe for you to make.
More Italian chicken recipes we love
- Chicken Florentine
- Fried Chicken Parmesan
- Stuffed Chicken Marsala
- Tuscan Stuffed Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Spiedini
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Easy Chicken Provencal Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Salt & pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 15- oz. can diced tomatoes drained
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Fresh parsley chopped, for serving
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Serve with: Roasted potatoes & green beans
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Season the chicken liberally with the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and sear for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside on a plate, tenting with foil to rest.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the onion and the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the wine to the pan and scrape up any brown bits, then simmer 1-2 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add the diced tomatoes, olives, rosemary, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Nestle the chicken pieces and any juices into the mixture. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is just done. Remove and discard rosemary and thyme.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley and lemon wedges, paired with roasted potatoes and green beans.