This Alice Springs Chicken (Outback Copycat) recipe tastes even better than what you’d order at the restaurant! The cheesy honey mustard chicken, sautéed mushrooms, and crispy bacon make for a tasty meal and an instant family favorite.
What’s in this Alice Springs Chicken Recipe
This cheesy baked chicken recipe uses ingredients that are easy to find at the store and may already be at home!
- Mayonnaise: You can make your own homemade mayonnaise with just a few easy steps!
- Honey: Try to use organic honey with a deep golden color for the best flavor.
- Dijon Mustard: Do not substitute this with plain yellow mustard!
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed is best.
- Chicken: While you can use chicken thighs, chicken breasts are preferred as they’re what’s used in the original recipe.
- Salt and Pepper: Avoid using too much salt. As for the pepper, freshly cracked is best.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is preferred to keep the salty flavor to a minimum.
- Mushrooms: Button or cremini mushrooms are preferred for their shape.
- Olive Oil: Avocado oil also works if preferred.
- Bacon: Feel free to use turkey bacon instead of pork if you’d like.
- Cheeses: You’ll need both Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses for this super cheesy chicken recipe!
PRO TIP: This recipe is so versatile if you have leftovers! When you reheat it, try shredding the chicken and making it into quesadillas, burritos, or even a topping for salads!
Can I make alice springs chicken with chicken thighs?
While you can make this Outback copycat recipe with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, I recommend sticking with chicken breasts, as they are the most faithful to the original recipe.
Alice springs chicken is a dish from Outback Steakhouse featuring marinated sautéed chicken breasts topped with mushrooms, bacon, and cheese.
The dish is named after alice springs, a town located in the geographic center of Australia.
Alice springs chicken is marinated in and topped with a honey-mustard sauce.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover alice springs chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 400°F oven for about 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
How to Freeze
Freeze alice springs chicken in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
More Copycat Chicken Recipes We Love
- Chicken Bryan Copycat Recipe
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken Burrito
- Chicken Crunchwrap Supremes Copycat Recipe
- Asiago Ranch Chicken Club Wendy’s Copycat
- Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
Alice Springs Chicken (Outback Copycat) Recipe
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter ¼ stick
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices cooked bacon chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Fresh parsley optional, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, honey, mustard, and lemon juice together. Set aside.⅔ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup honey, ¼ cup Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large oven-proof skillet set over medium-high heat, melt the butter.2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and sauté until browned, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside, then return the skillet to the heat.8 ounces mushrooms
- Heat the oil until it’s shimmering. Add the chicken breasts in a single layer and brown on both sides for 3-4 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Drizzle half of the honey mustard sauce over the chicken. Scatter the mushrooms evenly over the chicken, then top it with the bacon and half of the cheese.4 slices cooked bacon, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Bake for 12 minutes. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and continue baking for an additional 4-8 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with parsley if desired. Serve with reserved sauce on the side for dipping.Fresh parsley
- Use any mushrooms you like. I recommend button or cremini.
- Serve with baked or mashed potatoes and broccoli, or with french fries.