This HEALTHY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS Recipe (Chicken & Sweet Potato Enchiladas) are a healthy and delicious way to enjoy Mexican night! We love these tasty sweet potato black bean enchiladas and make them on the regular. This Skinny Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe is filled with vegetables and all kinds of good stuff. They are definitely a new favorite!
Healthy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are a fun, fresh, and healthy way to indulge in Mexican cuisine!
These Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are SO good, and quite surprising. I’m used to the good ole’ chicken and cheese enchiladas covered in enchilada sauce. But this fresh, vegetable-rich version is giving them a run for their money. What’s not to love about chicken and sweet potato black bean enchiladas?
I have always loved sweet potatoes, and recently have really enjoyed cooking with them. In the past, I’ve made Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes, Baked Sweet Potato Chips, Sweet Potato Casserole, and even Loaded Sweet Potato Chips! They are such a versatile ingredient, tasting delicious whether savory or sweet. And now this chicken and sweet potato recipe is a new favorite!
I am absolutely LOVING these Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas. Both Pat and I were shocked at just how good they are. They just have such a fresh taste. You guys know that I love easy and delicious meals, and these enchiladas fit the bill!
Try this Healthy Chicken Enchiladas recipe for a healthier Mexican night meal!
Chicken and Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
I adapted this sweet potato black bean enchiladas recipe from the brilliant blog, Damn Delicious. I made a couple changes, like adding the chicken and corn and skipping the chiles, but otherwise, I followed her instructions. They are delicious indeed! I’m so glad I tried this recipe.
I love how the flavors of the sweet potatoes mix with the black beans, chicken, and salsa verde. YUM. Plus they’re stuffed with corn, onions, and topped with fresh avocado, tomatoes, and lots of sour cream. And did I mention the CHEESE? I’ve made many sweet potato recipes in my day, but this just might be my favorite now. I love making these chicken and sweet potato enchiladas for dinner!
Healthy Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe
Healthy is a relative term if you ask me. But these chicken and sweet potato enchiladas are definitely a healthier alternative to traditional Mexican enchiladas. We’re stuffing these full of healthy, nutrient-rich ingredients, like sweet potatoes, black beans, and tons of veggies. Plus they’re baked and then topped with avocado and tomatoes.
Sure, there’s plenty of fat and calories in the cheese and sour cream, but those 2 ingredients are totally optional. The flavor is well worth it, but these chicken and sweet potato enchiladas would be just as good without the dairy.
FREE CHICKEN EBOOK
The Cookie Rookie is practically famous for amazing Chicken Recipes, mostly due to these Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas. We have so many other chicken favorites that I hope you check out, and even have a FREE EBOOK for subscribers (click to find out more). I’m here for all your easy chicken recipes needs!
Easy Baked Chicken Recipes
Looking for more easy baked chicken recipes? Check out the full Baked Chicken Guide for 25 easy recipes you can make for dinner any night of the week!
These Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas are soooo good. I hope you’ll try them out and let me know what you think! The fresh flavor of these veggie-stuffed sweet potato black bean enchiladas will have you feel healthy and satisfied and they are the perfect weeknight dinner!
See the recipe card below for details on these Chicken and Sweet Potato Black Beans Enchiladas recipe. Enjoy!
Healthy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2 cups shredded or cubed chicken cooked
- 2 cooked sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 can yellow corn kernels drained and rinsed. I used Green Giant Steam Crisp corn...it doesn't come in liquid so I could use 'as is'. it was really good!
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups mexican blend cheese divided
- 12 6- inch flour or whole wheat tortillas warmed
- 1 avocado halved seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sour cream optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degreesF
- Pour 1 cup salsa verde in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked sweet potatoes, cooked chicken, black beans, corn, red onion, cilantro, spices, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- To assemble enchiladas, lay tortilla on a flat surface and spoon 1/4 cup sweet potato mixture in the center; sprinkle with cheese. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down onto prepared baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas
- Pour the remaining salsa over the enchiladas and top with desired amount of cheese.
- Place into oven and bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, more tomato, cilantro, and sour cream if desired.